Page 41 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: TSG's Unified Fleet Thread

For the record, the XR's radiator is 25" wide and 13" tall, with a 1" "lip" on the bottom. So I could run dual 12" fans - maybe someone makes such a shroud.

Something like this might work, though it looks like the mounting tabs would need modification. http://www.slimfan.com/92_00_Honda_R...ondashroud.htm
    Whoomah!

Great minds!

I found this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mi...o-03/overview/

It's 2" too wide, but the shroud is aluminum. I am sure I could section it and fasten it back together.

The mounting is utterly and completely wrong. And actually I'm not sure how to mount anything to the radiator anyway... there are tabs at the bottom, but absolutely nothing else. The answer might be screws in the bottom, and those plastic through-core doodads at the top. The screw will support most of the weight.

I wonder if I have 3.5" of depth. I think so.

Put a little more time into the XR last night, hose clamps and setting the wastegate mostly. Then I remember another challenge I have - in this moment, I think the final actual challenge. My thermostat housing.

I replaced it years ago with a wonderful cast aluminum piece because the factory is cast iron part is prone to warping and leaking. The aluminum pieces uses a sweet o-ring seal and never leaks. Unfortunately, the dude who made the aluminum version - I'm sure - made it for him because the heater bypass is an inane size. The factory bypass is 5/8", and the hole on the aluminum thing is 1/4" NPT. There is no such thing as a 1/4" NPT to 5/8" hose barb. I've been using a miraculous hose from an Isuzu Rodeo that's 5/8" on one side and 1/2" on the other and it works, but it's ugly and fits so poorly I'm afraid I will spontaneously fail (including the possibility of being ground up by the cam belt). I'd like to get rid of it. I can go buy a newer version of the housing for later Lima-powered Mustang, but then I lose the spot for my VDO temp gauge... so I'd really like to fix the aluminum part.

I took it over to a machine shop. I think what has to happen is the old hole needs to be welded shut and then the thing redrilled and tapped. We'll see what happens...

I am sad about the state of NPT fittings. I need a couple that seem like they should exist, but they just don't... at least in metal. I've found exactly what I need in PE, but I'm not sure how well it'll stand up to a vehicle's cooling system. I thought a lot of parts in modern cooling systems were made of HDPE, but all the stuff I've found is only rated to 190-200 deg F, which is a fair amount lower than average cooling system temps. Maybe the things I thought were HDPE are nylon or something?

How is fittingsandnipples.com anything but a sex site?

hehehe. Dissapointed?

Only sort of, because they did indeed have all the fittings and nipples I needed and they're all on a truck heading for me now.

Give River Bend Hose a try. I worked there for eleven years and they should have the fittings that you need.

Very cool - do you know if they were mail order custom hose assemblies?