Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

My LG C6 OLED has been through like 5 moves, and in the process of one got damaged, so the image is getting funky in a corner, and on an edge, and slowly getting worse… Which means I likely “have” to get a new tv sometime.

Any thoughts on LG vs Samsung vs Sony OLEDs?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Honestly, I'm not real sure there's much of a major difference these days. I've got the A80J Sony from a few months back, and the LG I just got, they're both awesome. Oddly enough, I don't have a Samsung, though I have 5 Samsung montitors, a tablet, and have used nothing but Samsung phones for 15+ years.

Brand whore indeed.

Junior Potato
    Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, I’m pretty certain that LG manufactures the panels that go into other brand OLED TVs. They keep the most advanced tech for their flagship products for a while before allowing their competitors access to them.

So image quality will be identical between all the major brands of OLED, and the difference will come down to features and software. I’d say shop according to price and features between each brand and don’t worry about the screen itself.

Of course, it’s also a good idea to read professional review sites like Rtings and get their verdict as well.

Samsung is the exception to LG manufacturing the OLED panels for other brands. Samsung have been making them for phones for a while, but FWIU, the process used for phone screens didn't economically scale up to TV sized screens.

How they compare, I couldn't say. They're pretty new and I've never seen one.

Samsung QD-Oled are seemingly better than LG's ones, but not that better to miss out on incredible LG C1 deals around now that C2s and other newer LG TV sets are out.
    Also Panasonic best TV is not sporting an LG Oled panel but kinda a proprietary one.

Panasonic pulled out of the US TV market in 2016, so that's not an option for Jason.

Samsung The Frame (2022) 75" incoming for living room.

Will be mainly used to display NFTs, kids' drawings/paintings, karaoke, and for some gaming/movie-watching.

The server has an HDMI 1.4 cable that I can hook up to it, but it's only a 6500/onboard graphics. I am thinking of streaming via Steamlink from the 6700K/GTX1070 even though that's not THAT much better.s Or else upgrading an old HTPC which has an i5-4570 and sits around doing nothing? Too many PCs...

Or, since I am going to have to do 7 days quarantine twice in the next few months, just buying a Legion notebook with a 3070 and plugging that in.

PS5, possibly, but not sure it's necessary when I hardly play the PS4 which is hooked up to the old 50" plasma in the study.

I can probably move the Switch dock outside and use the Genki one I got (for travelling) for the plasma in the study.

Of course, this all assumes that I have time to play games.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; June 27th, 2022 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, I’m pretty certain that LG manufactures the panels that go into other brand OLED TVs. They keep the most advanced tech for their flagship products for a while before allowing their competitors access to them.

So image quality will be identical between all the major brands of OLED, and the difference will come down to features and software. I’d say shop according to price and features between each brand and don’t worry about the screen itself.

Of course, it’s also a good idea to read professional review sites like Rtings and get their verdict as well.
    Samsung has their own technology, QD-OLED, and Sony’s newest set also uses the same. LG is still using their W-OLED or whatever it’s called

75" Samsung The Frame is VERY NAAIIICCEEE

Old 50” plasma in our second room taking a dump on me. Just bought a Hisense U7G on sale to replace it. Can’t afford OLED in every room