Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I MAKE A BUNCH OF ASSUMPTIONS AND JUDGMENT CALLS AND YOU NEED TO MAKE THE SAME ONES!
    No, don't even come at me with that absolute bullshit. If I say Force is directly proportional to acceleration, it's not a legitimate comeback to say, "but one object might have less mass, so you're wrong." My statement is still correct, but yes there is another variable to consider. It's not an assumption for the logical mind. FFS, look at the cost of 1080p monitors vs 4K monitors of the same size. That's why it's cheaper, not because my original statement was wrong.

The correct response to my first post would have been something along the lines of, "indeed it does, but HD is much cheaper than Ultra HD, and the only HD OLED TV in this size is curved, making it the cheapest OLED. The nature of the response made an argument for no reason.
    Last edited by LHutton; December 31st, 2015 at 09:51 AM.

TL;DR

Cliffs: Don't compare apples to oranges as a basis for disproving a fact.

Cliff Notes: Jason said that he couldn't find a 55" OLED flat TV for cheaper than a 55" OLED curved TV. LHutton provided a store link that proved Jason was correct. Delicious cookies were shared among the gathered crowd.
    Get that weak shit off my track

On a plus note for curved TVs, they would be easier to shove up your arse sideways.

Da fuq? I didn't get any cookies. But someone did just bring donuts into the office so I can't complain. Until I eat them all, anyway.

how cheap can OLEDs get in the next few years?
    LG is the only one really developing them. Once everyone realizes they're better than CRTs and plasmas what's the point of trying to get them down anywhere near shit LEDs?
    seems like they might continue to plummet for another year and then relatively level off

ps; for 99% of the consumers now 4k is just going to upscale a heavily compressed 720p/1080i transmission (unless you're using it as a computer monitor)

I'm not holding my breath on them dropping too much in price. The vast majority of people are very happy with LEDs, and I think OLED is tough/expensive to manufacture... so why not sell a LED set for a higher markup that happens to still be 'affordable'?

I'll likely end up with the curved 1080p set by the end of 2016 if nothing drops in price.

I think Pioneer and Panasonic both have an investment in OLED - but without a bunch of heavy hitters development will be slow. Still, if you can buy an OLED set *now* for $2500 they are already making good headway. I have no idea what actually goes into manufacturing OLED, though, so I'm just speaking from likely market outcomes and not about actual production possibilities.

I thought Pioneer gave up on the TV business a good few years ago when people stopped buying their (vastly) superior but also very expensive 'Kuro' Plasmas in favour of wholly inferior in just about every way but also substantially cheaper LCD TV's? Any Pioneer TV these days is just a licenced name and has very little to do with the Pioneer TV's of old?