Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

Junior Potato
    Yeah it’s definitely all set up for 4K.

I can see the higher resolution against tree leaves and in texture detail. But during gameplay, when I’m not ogling details but actually playing the game, these things don’t stand out. RDR runs closer to 1440p than checkerboard 2160p tho.

By far the biggest improvement is HDR (in games other than RDR2!) but my OG PS4 provides that anyway.

In general, HDR and greater color bitrate is more important in most viewing situations currently anyways. The difference between 1080p and 4k in terms of resolution at normal viewing distances and tv sizes right now is pretty negligible. Most games, I choose 1080p + higher fps vs 4k and lower fps right now, because the detail difference is basically non existent when in motion.

That being said, as we inevitably creep up in tv size, it'll become more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    In general, HDR and greater color bitrate is more important in most viewing situations currently anyways. The difference between 1080p and 4k in terms of resolution at normal viewing distances and tv sizes right now is pretty negligible. Most games, I choose 1080p + higher fps vs 4k and lower fps right now, because the detail difference is basically non existent when in motion.

That being said, as we inevitably creep up in tv size, it'll become more noticeable.
    Or sit closer to the tv!

Im probably 2m from my screen, pretty close by most peoples standard, but its a very cheap way to have effectively a bigger screen and actually make use of all that resolution.
    I actually inched the coach a little closer when I got the 4k set even though its a slightly bigger size (58 v 50)

Junior Potato
    I’d sit closer, but my tv and couch are at far ends of the lounge room. I could move the couch or tv stand closer by a few feet, but that would essentially leave wasted room between that and the wall.

The obvious answer is to buy the tv that fits, not fit the room to the tv. But I’d have to spend twice as much to do that!

My couch is closer to the tv than the wall behind it. The area behind it is used as a walkway to cross the lounge room and get out to my courtyard. The space between couch and tv is "wasted" - its got a small table but you cant really walk thru the area.
    If I moved it back Id need to get a much bigger set to be the same visual - like 90 inch and that is an obscene amount of money.
    I also live alone so its not like its setup for 4 people to watch at once.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    My couch is about 10 feet (3m for those people)from the TV, and I want a 70" for the next one. I just need lightning to bake my current set to justify replacement.

Hi guys, my new 4K Samsung tv is doing great and I'm enjoying the possibility of using the smart part of it (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube), also connected my BD player to it with ease.
    The new smart remote control still sucks, I do not care for voice commands, so I've ordered a 10 euro clone remote control of the standard Samsung RC, it is going to arrive on next thursday.
    So far, so good.
    I've not tried connecting my desktop PC to the TV, but it is full of cables and on the other side of the room, so let's forget about trying to play on the 50" (and my RX580 would struggle at 4K anyway).
    I'd like to connect my HP laptop to the TV, instead but... it only has a VGA and a DisplayPort output. No HDMI. Obviously the TV has no VGA and no DP inputs... so HDMI or nothing.
    How can I fix this easy? Display Port cable and an HDMI adapter at the TV end? Is that feasable?
    Last edited by Blerpa; December 6th, 2018 at 04:31 AM.

Administrator
    If you're okay bumping down to 1080p, I've found the Steam Link to be a super cheap way to project my desktop onto my TV. I went with a wired network connection just to reduce the latency slightly, but that was to make fighting games more playable. If you're not trying to play games where timing comes down to tens of milliseconds, it works fine over wifi. It often goes on sale for dirt cheap prices, like 5 euros or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Hi guys, my new 4K Samsung tv is doing great and I'm enjoying the possibility of using the smart part of it (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube), also connected my BD player to it with ease.
    The new smart remote control still sucks, I do not care for voice commands, so I've ordered a 10 euro clone remote control of the standard Samsung RC, it is going to arrive on next thursday.
    So far, so good.
    I've not tried connecting my desktop PC to the TV, but it is full of cables and on the other side of the room, so let's forget about trying to play on the 50" (and my RX580 would struggle at 4K anyway).
    I'd like to connect my HP laptop to the TV, instead but... it only has a VGA and a DisplayPort output. No HDMI. Obviously the TV has no VGA and no DP inputs... so HDMI or nothing.
    How can I fix this easy? Display Port cable and an HDMI adapter at the TV end? Is that feasable?
    You have many options. But behold the joy that is... AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ayport+to+hdmi

Thanks, people.
    Steam link are almost gone forever, they are out of production I believe, and stocks are scarce.
    I ended up ordering by Amazon something akin to what YW suggested: a 2 meter DP to HDMI adapter with 4K 60hz capabilities by a brand called Ugreen.
    Reviews are a mixed bag, hopefully it will work, all other adapters I could find, Amazon Basics included, did not have the 4K 60hz feature.
    If it sucks I can always send it back. I'll keep you people updated.

EDIT: It's this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugre...4-ee24cfb559e1
    Last edited by Blerpa; December 6th, 2018 at 10:27 AM.