Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

This does have me tempted, if only for the blacks, 4K, and hdr. But I can now run games on max settings as the plasma is 1080, so there’s that for keeping it as it is.

I could move the plasma to replace the shitty (and much newer) 40" Samsung led in our bedroom.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Can't remember where i saw the post that linked me to this page (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...-oled/settings) about my TV, but i'm still having issues with it. The settings described in that link are pretty much all defaults, and make things too dull looking.

In that games on the Xbox X are still too 'vivid/rich looking, colour wise. Unless that's what 4K is supposed to be?
    Like WRC6 looks way too dull, areas in sunlight are not as bright as it seems they should be, but then in Forza 5 it's seemingly too dark in shadowy areas and too bright in sunlight.
    THe game pictures in Xbox Store all look like they are way too saturated with colour, but also too dark in places too.

Granted neither of those games are probably HDR/4K adapted, but still.

Any other settings i try make everything just look too dark and dull.
    It's only the Xbox with this prob too, PS4P looks great, as do 4k videos on YouTube through the TV.

It sometimes puts me off even using the console, because it makes me feel like i'm not seeing the game the way it's meant to be seen.

Junior Potato
    The caption for the first setting says:

To achieve our target luminance of 100cd/m² in our totally dark room we set the 'Brightness' to 9. Most people will find this too dim, you should set the 'Brightness' to match your room lighting as it has no effect on the picture quality.
    Is this your problem?

And have you checked that the settings are the same between the PS4 and Xbox inputs?

And making sure both consoles are set up as similar as possible in their video output settings (RGB full range vs limited range can catch people out - have it set to full range on both consoles and the TV)

What about watching the same content (be it a software title, YouTube or Netflix, etc) on both consoles to compare?

You want to eliminate as many differences as possible.

To top this off, yes, a properly set up TV will look dim.

Also set the console to 8bit display, not 10 as your TV will be, it'll upscale it if need be from what I've read.
    Try unchecking the ycc 4.2.2 box, that can fix things also.

Also... I dunno on your TV, but my Samsung is set to UHD Mode both for my Xbox input and for my backup PC one.
    Otherwise it would look like shit: whites would be burned and everything will look darker.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Brightness set at max, or near to because it doesn't make much difference at min or max setting.

Maybe the whiteness enhancer is on too strong (lesser settings make everything look duller, but maybe i could play around with contrast etc to fix that).

Haven't compared the PS4 and Xbox only because the PS4 isn't true 4K unlike the Xbox, so thought it would be an unfair comparison?

Ycc is turned off i think, tried it on and didn't do much.

Will have another play around today, cheers peeps.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; April 10th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

Junior Potato
    4.2.2 vs 4.4.4 is almost undetectable to the human eye. It’s simply a way of reducing the data needed to display a video file by very slightly reducing colour information.

And your PS4 is a Pro, yes? If you’re thinking that it’s “not true 4K” because of the way it renders games using checker boarding, then you’re mistaken.

It still sends a true 4K data stream to your TV. It’s only the internal rendering resolution that is lower, because it’s chipset can’t render most modern games at full 4K, but can play older games in native 4K. Both consoles have the capability to send out an 18Gb/s data rate.

Just got a new TV, after bulb number 3 (or 4?!) died on me in my 12 year old Mitsubishi projection TV. I had decided on a specific 65" full array but not top of the line 2020 LED model from Sony, as it seemed to fit my various needs, but it wasn't being sold yet. The top and bottom 2020 LED models were already for sale, but the two in the middle were not, and I just decided to wait because the extra $400 to the top model was too much.

And then it was available and immediately sold out that morning.

And then the top line model started its Memorial Day sale early and was discounted $300.

So now I have the top of line LED Sony model set up

It's beautiful, makes almost everything look better (a small percentage of fonts from a 1080p source have had a weird aliasing), and has some cool features itself: just to screw around, I found out that not only does Real Racing 3 play directly on the TV through the Android TV interface, but it can be controlled via the remote control! And my favorite Android media player of obscure video file types works, so I should be able to plug in USB drives and watch videos of...a certain type...
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Just got a new TV, after bulb number 3 (or 4?!) died on me in my 12 year old Mitsubishi projection TV.
    Man, I had a Panasonic projection TV and goddamn if that bulb could barely last a couple of years and didn't cost a fortune to replace. That and I generally had to drive out to a shop about 30 miles away just to find a replacement bulb.

The lamp for my RPTV is actually only $75 on Amazon still, and I think it was about the same the other times I bought it (the first replacement was under extended warranty).
    Get that weak shit off my track