Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I actually have mine in little "pockets" of space behind the couch on the floor, aimed up. You can hear them there, but given we're in an apartment and I've found myself with a new found sense of courtesy to the neighbors, movies don't get the full SPL they used to when I didn't give a fuck about such things.

I'm not talking about mounting solutions. It's the shape of the sound field itself. Our living room is a rectangle. TV is in the upper left. A sectional couch is in the lower right. You can't get the rear speakers behind you because you're in a corner. It's been like this every place we've ever been but for some reason it bothers me this time. I may just set it up as a 2.1 system to add some depth of tone and just forget about the surround aspect.

If you do a google image search for corner surround setups you get a bunch of variations on this diagram that show the issue:

The surrounds (and rears, if applicable) have to end up in front of you which causes you to lose the surround effect as the field gets muddled. First world problems but it's one of the reasons I haven't bothered to set it up this time.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Yep, I get it. Your arrangement would make it tough to be "ideal".

We're looking at houses, and I'm deal/no deal on the shape of the main living/family room. Awkward angles/fireplaces (we're in fucking Florida, really??!) buttfuck the layout. Short of converting a garage into living space, most houses are jigsaw puzzles.

I also refuse to mount a TV on the wall. The reason my TV base is the height it is, is because I sat on the couch and measured from the floor to my eye level, then designed the base to make the center of the screen that level.

Probably not as important these days with some of the bigger screens and viewing angles/etc, but I'm not going to mount a TV 6feet up on a wall, above the fore-mentioned fireplace (again, it's fucking Florida!).

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Probably not as important these days with some of the bigger screens and viewing angles/etc, but I'm not going to mount a TV 6feet up on a wall, above the fore-mentioned fireplace (again, it's fucking Florida!).
    That seemed pretty standard in pre-2008 crash, bubble era construction. Especially condos.

I mean, you guys live in America. Don't you all have massive houses with an extra room where you can mount the TV on a flat wall and speakers everywhere (and a pretty big walk-in shower)? If not, then what's the point of being there?!????!?

Junior Potato
    tHE POINT, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW, IS FREEDOM

Don’t forget guns. I mean we all own automatic assault rifles for “protection” from…well, everyone.

Also V8 cars, 10 gallon hats, and Lululemon yoga gear!!!

I had to google the last one. It's a Canadian company.

Female Masturbatory Aid