Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: 4K yay or 4K nay?

Thanks. Given the room size, and that it is right next to a balcony, I may go for size and brightness over absolute picture quality/darks.

Junior Potato
    My Sony is four years old now.

I mostly run it in 1080p/120Hz mode with my PC hooked up to it to do gaming and browsing and movie/series streaming.

4K/HDR still looks amazing on it. I decided I don't need to upgrade to anything fancy with HDMI 2.1 VRR features or anything. I don't need OLED or any of that jazz. It's perfectly fine. In a dark room I might see the backlights in the quadrants adjacent to the centre of screen activating when the Disney+ spinny wheel does its thing, but that's about it.

With my current situation, I basically sit in my racing rig to watch content and play racing games, so the current thought is if I was to upgrade my screen, I wouldn't buy a new TV. I would just get a Samsung curved 32:9 monitor and hard-mount it to the rig and use it purely for racing purposes, and the TV would be put back in action as a loungeroom TV.

But as a flexible and highly utilised viewing device, long term it has been amazing.

I rarely use my 4K Sony downstairs. In fact I should probably swap the Plasma in my bedroom (now 15 years old!) for it but there’d be no benefit apart from bigger screen size, the sky box in my bedroom only does 1080p.

We put a Hisense U6G in my sons room for Christmas when the old plasma died. Pretty inexpensive with a really nice picture. I recommend it.

I figured I'd get a bigger OLED to replace my old Panasonic G25 series plasma for a some years now, but the Panasonic is still trucking along, 12 years later. Weirdly, a few years back, it would make a buzzing sound while displaying very bright scenes, but it stopped doing that, seemingly healing like the T-1000.

However, some bonus funds and price drops on last year's LG 65" C1 to $1600 got me to order one from Costco today. Costco throws in a free extended Allstate warranty to bring total coverage to 5 years. I should have it Wednesday if there aren't any delays.

Booyah. Yeah C1s are now being replaced by C2s and the prices are dropping. I would looove a 65" C1 but I just can't swing it right now. I would make the 55" C1 my gaming TV (to replace an old Panny 50" plasma) and the 65" C1 my "TV watching" TV.

Junior Potato
    That buzzing sound is probably coil whine from capacitors on the main board. It’s common for GPUs to do it as they’re dumping heaps of power into the system. My GPU would also do it on bright scenes and stopped doing it as it got older.

But this is information that relates to a problem from the past and doesn’t do anything except maybe expand your knowledge by a tiny amount of a largely useless subject. So do with it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    So do with it what you will.
    Profit?

Junior Potato
    I think there's a ??? which comes before it, but, yes.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    A couple weeks ago they called us back to the office (starting July). It provided me with an opportunity to geek out. SInce we're 3 days a week, and I can't work without external monitors (32" minimum at that), and they were only offering 27" 1k (really??), I bought an LG 48 C1. I oved my 42" LG monitor to the "work" desk, and put the new one in tis place.

It's pretty fucking ridiculous.

20220611_142734.jpg