Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU LÉ CANUCKIEU 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU LÉ CANUCKIEU 2014

Here we go again.

Power track, expect to see all the Renaults outgunned.
    Will we see Kimi outpace/outluck Fred or will we finally see some decent on-track action from the two of them?
    Can Sauber rebound from the massive ass rape Bianchi gave them?
    Will Maldonado have a race?
    Low Downforce venue, Does it mean that Macca can get away with their understeer issue?
    Speaking of Bianchi, as he Kamui'd Kobayashi in the final stages of Monaco, will the Banzai master, and one of the most entertaining mofos out in Ile de Notre Dame in the last few years, let it rest or does he have something in store for Jules?
    When the lights go out, who will gain the more places, is it going to be Alonso (again)? My boy Guti (seems that's the only skill the dude's got untarnished)? or Can Massa surprise?
    Will The Smile prevail over the Finger?
    And once again, can Twat beat Nob in the title race?

Some Tech preview, from around the web:

Most teams have – apparently – been running pretty much maximum downforce at every race this year. So what does that tell us? Yes, they have less downforce but not necessarily drastically less than last year. The power units produce three times more torque than the V8 predecessors and the tyre compounds are far harder. This means that tyre surface temperature is easily generated under acceleration, which is good for a race start but not really what you want in the corners.

The teams will be looking to boost core temperatures as this allows the driver to lean on the car a lot more, increasing cornering speed. The best way to increase core temperatures at the rear is increasing rear downforce and, because the torque levels are so high, this is no surprise. However to balance the car you need to ramp up the front wing angle or find performance at the front end, otherwise you will just have heaps of understeer.

This is evident on a number of cars, except Red Bull who probably have the best chassis – just. Mercedes has a hint of understeer which shows that they still have performance to find from the front wing area. By contrast, McLaren have been having big issues with front tyre temperature all season and this is why the drivers want more front downforce because they can’t balance the car by reducing rear downforce as this decreases core rear tyre temperatures.
    More here.

And on the subject of the "Red Bull Team" secret test, Sommerfield had this to say:

To me it is clear that providing the aerodynamic implications of 5.2 are followed any team conducting this type of test could do so without consequence. The use of such a test would also correlate with both Renault and the Renault powered teams getting a better handle on some of the issues they encountered during the pre-season test. As we know issues surrounding the actual installation of the powerunit within the chassis had led to some issues that hadn't showed up on Renault's dynamometers. I would suggest that as works teams both Mercedes and Ferrari had already conducted such tests complete with their chassis, the regulations permit it and so it would be foolhardy not to take advantage.

and I think this illustration is by Craig Scarborough:

frm-pu.jpg

Now, on to the poll...
    acket.

where is the pol.....?

Closed the poll as I was typing it... We're going to manually input our preferences for our favorite Canadisized F1 driver, I'll Start:

My vote goes to Nico "Fogelhund" Hulkenberg
    acket.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Closed the poll as I was typing it... We're going to manually input our preferences for our favorite Canadisized F1 driver, I'll Start:

My vote goes to Nico "Fogelhund" Hulkenberg
    FEHnando EHlonso?

That illustration is interesting. Ferrari running a sort of top mounted intercooler?

Or some sort of water/air set-up?
    Whoomah!

Fred punches above his (car's) weight:

Code:
    Results from FP1

1 	14 	Fernando Alonso 	Ferrari 	1:17.238 		21
    2 	44 	Lewis Hamilton 	        Mercedes 	1:17.254 	0.016 	25
    3 	6 	Nico Rosberg 	        Mercedes 	1:17.384 	0.146 	32
    4 	1 	Sebastian Vettel 	RedBullRacing 	1:18.131 	0.893 	28
    5 	77 	Valtteri Bottas 	Williams 	1:18.361 	1.123 	20
    6 	3 	Daniel Ricciardo 	RedBullRacing 	1:18.435 	1.197 	26
    7 	22 	Jenson Button 	        McLaren     	1:18.446 	1.208 	33
    8 	20 	Kevin Magnussen 	McLaren 	1:18.514 	1.276 	31
    9 	7 	Kimi Räikkönen 	        Ferrari 	1:18.578 	1.340 	15
    10 	25 	Jean-Eric Vergne 	STR-Renault 	1:18.643 	1.405 	14
    Last edited by FaultyMario; June 6th, 2014 at 08:49 AM.
    acket.

acket.

Does Kimi get the new engine cover?

And how the hell is he 1.3 off? FFS dude.

And then SV is fastest after the Mercs in second practice because he waited for the track to be rubbered in to use his option tires. Actual pace order seems to be Merc-Fezz-Bulls.
    acket.