Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3DS owners unite!

Junior Potato

3DS owners unite!

I'm just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone's into Nintendo's portable powerhouse.

Today I came home with this.

Whoopsies. The only reason I bought one is because I was browsing the PS4 games display at Target last week and for some reason just turned around and caught a glimpse of the 3DS display, which up until that very moment had registered precisely a zero on my interest-o-meter. What is this? I never knew this existed!

I'm a big fan of The Legend of Zelda so it had to be done. This week I shopped around and today I got a screaming good deal on the console, A Link Between Worlds (of course) and an AC adapter. Suddenly I want to buy Ocarina of Time 3D, and Majora's Mask 3D, and Super Mario 3D Land, and Pilotwings Resort, and Xenoblade Chronicles, and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart 7, and Star Fox 64 3D, and Smash Bros. etc, etc

I think this has been coming for a while. I've had a slight rekindling of Nintendo love recently (because emulators) and I'm starting to be sucked in again. I'll definitely be a day-1 NX purchaser, but the Wii U... I'm torn. I want to play Splatoon so badly, but by the time I want to pick up a Wii U on the cheap, Splatoon might be dead and buried online, so it's not worth it (despite the cost of a new Wii U not being that much more than a New 3DS XL, heh!). But there's also Super Mario Maker and Super Mario 3D World and Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD... you know. Games that I already have multiple copies of already. I think the prospect of inevitable backwards compatibility with Wii U on the NX might save the day there.

I was playing Yoshi's New Island on my (not new)3DS this morning on the train to work, so yes. And Yoshi's Woolly World on my Wii U last night, so....yes?!
    I think I'm also going to sell my Xbox One, so...yes?!

I didn't do Zelda first time round, so picked up the Amiibo Twilight edition when it came out. As I grow older, I like Nintendo stuff more than most other things.

My kids have 3DS's... But they end up using the tablet/phone more often. I think it's just easier to switch games. And there's more variety without having to switch out cartridges, or carry them around.

I've probably got more installed games than I have carts, but I get your point. I find 3DS games a touch richer than phone/tablet stuff, so don't mind having less with me. Mind you, my attention span is long enough for the one way commute to play one thing

I suppose that would solve the issue of having to haul cartridges around. But I always get them used/on sale since the kids don't care if it's the newest hottest game yet. That's been the biggest drawback to downloading games for me.

I'm always tempted to buy one, but then I remembered games are not 99 cents

Junior Potato
    Heh, yeah. It's funny how we get used to things on one platform vs. another.

I think it's not even worth playing games on either of the two main phone platforms. I've baulked at paying $5 for a game on my iPhone. Games that are free are full of ads or micro transactions. The blindingly huge majority of them are low quality Sino-shovelware.

But I'll buy a 3DS and a game with the word "Zelda" on the cover and happily pay $250.

I have a controller case for my iPhone that cost like $5, and a GBA/SNES emulator

Junior Potato
    Tell you what, A Link Between Worlds is a pretty damn good game. It's overworld is a direct, although slightly altered copy of A Link to the Past's Hyrule from the SNES, but slightly 3D-ified. Still top-down, but built with polygons rather than 2D art work, so old-school Zelda veterans (I'm not part of this group, being an Ocarina baby) will have a fantastic time re-exploring their old familiar Hyrulian territory.

But early on in the game there is a huge twist (not a spoiler) in that Link gains the ability to transform into a 2d painting and traverse along the walls of cliffs, buildings and inside dungeons, which gives it a completely new mechanic. There is now a huge range of new puzzles to master thanks to the new 2D/3D tricks. Platforms move and walls get in the way, and you have to think quick and pop into a wall to beat the obstacle, or be elevated on the side of a moving brick thingamajig to get to a higher level. Funnily enough, the game is now presented in 3D, but normal activity happens on a 2D plane as in the old SNES game, but switch Link into a 2D painting and the camera changes to a side-on view of the world, making the game now occupy the 3rd dimension.

Another interesting change is that part-way through the game, you're presented with more than one dungeon to master at a time. The usual Zelda process is complete a dungeon, earn a new weapon or item, and use that item to access new areas and the next dungeon, and so-on in a quite linear fashion. Dungeons were more-or-less completed in a set order to go along with the narrative.

Not so in this game. I'm up to a point where 7 dungeons are available to do right now, I just have to find the entrances and do them in any order I want. But to do that I still need certain items, and I need to learn how to use them in the situations they're designed for. To accommodate this there is a merchant who rents you any of the items you need for a small fee of like 50 or 100 rupees, and rental lasts as long as you don't die. Or when you get to the point I'm at, he'll sell them for 800 or 1200, depending on the item, and you get to keep them if you cark it. This is nice because you get to play with all the toys you want right from the start of the game. Another plus is instead of ammo like arrows or bombs, etc, it's replaced with an energy meter that depletes as you use items or walk along walls. It essentially gives you unlimited ammo as long as you wait for it to refill after a few seconds. The big drawback of a rental system like this is the game suddenly becomes a grind for rupees so that you can afford the fee to own an essential item. Pots and shrubs all over Hyrule tremble in fear when a wild Link approaches.

So yeah, great game. I'm enjoying it a lot.

While I've heard mostly positive about the rental system and how that frees you up to do dungeons in whatever order, I have seen/heard it pointed out that it takes away one of the great bits from Zelda games: item use variety and combinations.

When the designers knew exactly what items you had before going into a dungeon, they could design rooms/encounters around combinations of any of the gear you'd acquired up to that point. When all you have to do to get in a dungeon is rent one specific item, you can only design every part of that dungeon around using that single item. You lose that great moment of walking into a room, seeing something you've never encountered before and having to figure out what 2 or 3 things you have to combine to solve the puzzle. If you're in the hookshot dungeon, the answer is almost always hookshot.

But I am confident Nintendo will figure out a way around this issue, and look forward to seeing how they do it going forward.
    Get that weak shit off my track