Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

^^^you know there is a new Ace Combat coming with PlayStation VR.

Junior Potato
    You know what would be a good game for PSVR?

A sequel to Dropship.

I liked that game a lot. Maybe I should try getting it running on PCSX2 with smoother graphics.

Good one. That was a favorite of mine too, very overlooked at the time. Prolly my fave console flying game behind the Aerowings and Energy Airforce series'.

Administrator
    Any of you actually end up getting any one of these? I've been saving my pennies to get a triple monitor setup mostly for racing games, then suddenly realized it'd actually be cheaper to get one of the VR setups for it instead. I've played for a *very* short amount of time with an Oculus Rift at a friends house and thought it was pretty convincing, but wanted to see if anyone else had any experiences. It really sounds like for the PC there's basically the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift. The Vive is more expensive and has some sort of Steam integration, but I'm assuming I can still use the Rift with Steam games as well. I'm not too worried about missing out on the Vive's ability to track where you in the room you are so you can move around, I'm not looking forward to smashing my shins on things and plan to really only use it with "seated" games (read: Driving, Flying, or other activities where you'd be seated in real life as well).

I got a Daydream free with my Pixel. Not nearly as good for games as the Rift, Vive or PSVR, but it has some simple spin-in-place-and-point ones, and can handle YouTube 3D/360 videos well.

Also sometime last year I got to play a Vive game called...Raw Data, I believe. It was at a local entertainment complex that has several setup in a large room, so I did co-op with a friend. It was a great time, teaming up to defend and attack objectives. He used a pistol, I did my best Jedi impression with a glowing sword that could reflect shots and return when thrown, and a move similar to force push.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 7th, 2017 at 06:48 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Tom - VR is definitely the way forward for cockpit based sims. Been using my Rift since June last year and can't go back to triple screens, although I have kept them set up for some PCARS 2 testing. The Rift works in all the leading race sims that support VR, either natively using the Oculus SDK or via the Steam/Open VR SDK.

PCARS, AC, iracing all have native support.
    R3E is supported via Open VR which works fine in my experience.

The Rift recently had a price cut and you can still by just the headset and single sensor if you're not interested in standing or room scale. You do need a powerful PC to get the best out of it, same with triples. I run a GTX 1080 and overclocked i7 4930K.

Administrator
    I'm having a hard time keeping track of CPU designations these days. I've got a GTX 970 and a non-overclocked i7-2600 @ 3.4Ghz. Seem strong enough for it?

Administrator
    Turns out Oculus has a "compatibility tool". It says, unfortunately, that my CPU isn't up to snuff. Also, and this does not surprise me, it seems like there's an excellent chance my USB 3.0 ports are not up to snuff. I have problems with them *constantly*, so I'm not surprised by this.

That basically means this just went from a doable ~$500 purchase to more like $1,200 when all is said and done, and I still don't get an awesome new video card out of it. Maybe someday.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 9th, 2017 at 07:27 AM.

You should be OK with that CPU. If you look at the Oculus recommended spec you've got a higher stock and boost frequency on your CPU although it is three generations older so has less IPC, not sure if it is missing any important instruction sets. Probably worth a look over at reddit.com/r/oculus to see how others are doing with similar spec, I'm sure I've read of people running it OK on Sandybridge CPUs. My Ivybridge, although a 6c/12t model, is only a generation later.

You GPU is fine and if you have any problems with your USB 3.0 ports you can get a separate PCI-E add in card. You're not going to be running max settings but should still have a wonderful immersive experience.

Administrator
    I did have to get a separate PCI-E card, and so far it seems to be working pretty well. Picked one up tonight and fought with it for a while but eventually got it all up and running. We've only sat through the Dreamdeck so far, that's all there's really time for tonight. Dreamdeck runs just fine, no issues. The whole thing really tripped Michele out.

It's a seriously tight fit around my glasses, but it is doable. It always pulls my glasses off when I take it off though.