Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

Oh yes. I got lasik and my colleague gave me his Rift. I have some touch controllers that should arrive next week.

Hmm. Considering selling mine. Not sure why but I've hardly used it.

Administrator
    I don't use mine a ton, but that's mostly because it's so isolating, so I don't really want to use it a lot when my wife is home. Feels sorta weird to be completely shut off from what's happening.

Apparently there is also project Santa Cruz, which sounds like it'll slot in between the Go and the Rift. Also wireless, but with higher performance specs than the Go and updated touch controllers that apparently can track all of your fingers, not just via the triggers, ala the Steam Knuckles controllers. A little disappointed to hear that it's like the Go, that it's entirely self contained, so you can only run anything that can run on its integrated hardware. It also sounds like it's noticeably heavier than the Rift, though less heavy than I would have expected considering the amount of battery power it's got to have. According to this article, it'll run a lot more than the Go, but it couldn't run Robo Recall as is. Oh, and like the Go it'll have "inside-out" tracking, meaning no sensors required.

My main want is wireless that's run off a solid gaming PC, but I have a feeling that that's a ways off. As it is, even a wired connection between my PC and TV via Steam Link has some latency, and latency will get you nice and sick while using VR.

Administrator
    Almost like the old-timey Steam sales. Edge of Nowhere is $4.99 today instead of the usual $39.99. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/r...6648920729545/

And, much like an old-timey Steam sale, I have no idea what this game is like or whether it's worth $39.99, but $4.99 is impulse buy enough that if I don't like it, oh well.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 13th, 2017 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks. I bought that and Duck Season.

Administrator
    If you get a chance to try Duck Season today, lemme know if you think it's worth it. I was kinda worried that it'd be fun nostalgia for approximately 3.4 minutes, then just be boring.

I probably won't have time to try it today, but sure. So far I've bought a ton of games and have only used the Rift for, er, watching "Internet tv". Because I'm waiting for my Touch controllers. Yeah, that's why.

What do you do with your hands in the meantime?

Hands? Other people do the work for me.

Touch controllers have arrived but I haven't been effed to try them yet.

Administrator
    The best is when they basically just disappear. The Climb and Robo Recall both got me to a point where I forgot that I was holding controllers, I just was doing intuitive things with my hands.