Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

Rift sold. I wanted to gel with it but far more often I found myself not being bothered with it and playing something normal. £290 I got for it.

I set it up at work, where I currently have more room. Playing The Climb is great!!

Administrator
    Rez: Infinite is on sale for $14.99. Significantly easier since you can aim by pointing (if you've got the touch controllers), but a way cooler experience than it is outside of VR.

I see. I may get it, then.

Administrator
    Just got all the way through it. It's a pretty great trip.

Administrator
    X-Plane 11 has native VR support now:

Administrator
    This guy and his voice are both incredibly annoying, but the way he's interacting with the cockpit of a 737 getting ready to take off is like my flight sim dream come true. All those dials and switches in the cockpit suddenly are things you can interact with just by grabbing them.

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 8th, 2018 at 03:19 PM.

Eh, I think I would still rather have a real instrument stack. What he is doing looks tedious. Wonder if VR is practically going to have to make you choose.

The dream must be to have AR. A full and moving racing seat (for example) with the gaps and inconvenient rubbish like the detritus of your home life filled up/overlaid with VR goodness.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Eh, I think I would still rather have a real instrument stack. What he is doing looks tedious. Wonder if VR is practically going to have to make you choose.
    Doesn't sound like it. In that video he's specifically trying to do it with no other hardware, but the vast majority of other videos for this have people using their normal hardware (the other video points out that the guy has to situation himself early on, otherwise there are buttons in the cockpit he can't interact with because of real life hardware in the way). This just means being able to use the touch controller to interact with the things they don't have hardware for rather than using a mouse to point-and-click onscreen like we have for the past 20 or so years.

And yeah, it's tedious. Some people want to go through every step like it's real life, some people just want to get flying. I think all the major sims default to having the majority of things handled automatically, but you can choose to do it manually if you want.