Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

I don't think his preflight routine is tedious. What I mean is he's using that controller to interact with the controls which looks cumbersome. If you can have the VR headset on and be able to reach over to your GoFlight radio stack and change the frequency by feel and the numbers change in the sim, then yeah, that'd be awesome. Same with the throttle, yoke, rudders, etc.

The disconnect will be when your hardware controls are not in the nearly same relative position as the ones in the sim and you have to peek out to make sure you're doing it right. That can be mitigated with diligence though.

Excited at the possibilities.

Administrator
    Finally just got the whole thing started up. Having some issues with calibrating Steam VR, for some reason when I try to interact with the settings menu in the hangar, it's like 6 feet over my head. Also, I definitely need to tweak the settings as I'm getting a ton of judder if I move my head too quickly.

That said, best flight sim experience I've ever had. Took off from KSMO in a little Cessna and literally felt my stomach drop as the plane left the ground. Being able to just look around freely was a game changer.

Now, if only I can figure out how to get the audio to go to the Rift's headphones instead of coming out of my main speakers.

Oh, and I was using my flight stick and throttle to do most of the controls, I didn't really do anything with the VR controllers other than interact with menus.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; January 12th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

Administrator
    The latest update to Google Earth VR for street view is incredible. I flew down to where we stayed in Barcelona, then navigated down through the streets to our favorite restaurant, and you can just sit there and look all around. It's amazing.