Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    FWIW II: An example of the Oculus Rift when flying planes in War Thunder [not me]

Man, I could listen to that guy talk and fly in VR all day. That was cool.

Administrator
    Argh. Well, having serious problems with the PCI-E USB adapter. I think it *may* be power related, but not certain. It worked okay last night, though I was occasionally hearing the USB disconnect sound followed by a connect sound. Machine crashed at some point last night, blue screened once this morning, and the Oculus won't show up as connected for more than a couple of seconds before it drops out. I fiddled with the power settings to no avail, and somehow I have the wrong cables for my modular power supply - must have thrown the wrong boxes out when I moved. Ordered a new PSU, get to look forward to re-running all the power cables through my case tomorrow.

Also, on the plus side, got me to finally get around to swapping out my CPU cooler fan for a four-pin one vs. a three-pin. I forgot that my computer can actually be nice and quiet.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 10th, 2017 at 08:08 AM.

USB seems to be the one weak spot of the Rift. Had a few issues, predominantly with the headset disconnecting, over the first few months of ownership which no manor of Oculus updates or USB drivers seemed to solve fully. Thankfully it's been rock solid for months now, touch wood. I'd recommend checking out Lucky's Tale. First time I completed a game in ages, great fun and excellent at showcasing the Rifts capabilities.

Administrator
    I gather part of that is its reliance on USB3 while USB3 still seems fiddly to me. I've yet to have a really stable USB3 setup. I'm sure that's better with the newest motherboards (I see they're all talking about USB 3.1 now), but it's a pain right now.

Administrator
    Well, it's not a power issue. Brand new PSU, brand new PCI-E USB3 card, dedicated line to it, same problem.

Could be the motherboard then.

Administrator
    Was never able to get this working, so I finally bit the bullet and bought an upgrade. I should have realized that this was going to be one of those purchases that ends up costing twice as much.

Gear should be here tomorrow evening, hope to have the new machine up and running on Sat. I wonder if I still have my windows license key lying around, I have a feeling that big of a change will invalidate it.

Administrator
    New gear didn't fix it. On the plus side, machine reboots really fucking fast. On the downside, I'm out around $700 and still can't get it to work.

Grrr....

Administrator
    And now I'm thinking it's faulty hardware in the Oculus. Just did a clean install of Windows 10, installed only drivers, Chrome, Dropbox, Keepass, and the Oculus software and it's doing the same thing. I just have to convince them to RMA it now.

Administrator
    On the plus side, between a fresh OS install and new hardware, this computer is now stupidly fast. So, that's nice.