Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift and other VR experiences

That's the beauty of the stupid thing on your face, you don't need other people!

Kagney Lynn Carter's assets have never looked so good! Things do get a bit blurry when things are happening very close to the camera though which spoils the immersion.

Administrator
    Whew, tried Dirt Rally and almost immediately got motion sickness. Coming over a jump made my stomach just drop. Hoping that's something I can learn to deal with in time. I couldn't even finish the one stage I tried, though it was super cool for as long as I could tough it out.

EDIT: Tried a stage with the Mini in Monaco, so tarmac. Was a lot easier to get through, though still gave me a bit of the queasys. There's nothing quite like seeing the snow banks with actual depth to them, or seeing the lights at certain corners shining down. I am looking forward to pushing my way through this motion sickness to where it doesn't affect me. I did find the setting that supposedly locks the "camera" to the horizon, so head movement is more about me and less about the car bouncing around. Supposedly that helps, but I'm feeling unsettled enough that I don't think I can have any more VR tonight.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 20th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.

Administrator
    Monza in a pseudo (read: unlicensed) F1 car in VR is something everyone should get to experience at some point in their lives.

Administrator
    I just found the bit of the Oculus Home app that shows all the different apps that already "have" (as in, they're free) and just needed installing. I tried out Robo Recall, which is one you get for free if you buy the Oculus Touch controllers. I didn't expect much since it sounds like a shovelware game, but that was awesome right up until it got confused as to where I was (I think because I have some objects that might be interfering with the sensors' lines of sight). At one point there were a bunch of little spider-like robots coming at me that leap at you, and there's something super satisfying about ducking as one comes in and raising your hand to fire at it and watching it get blasted in mid air.

I can't imagine what I looked like to anyone who might have seen me do that, but that's a heck of an experience. I'm also hearing that somebody modded DOOM 3 to work with the Oculus, including using the touch controllers to hold the weapons. I may have to give that a shot, but I am a little worried about motion sickness with that...Robo Recall gets around it by having you teleport to spots rather than walk.

Administrator
    For whatever reason, nothing seems to be giving me VR sickness today. Did about 8 rounds of Dirt Rally and a few attempts at not sucking in an LMP1 around Le Mans on Project Cars. Triple monitors has nothing on this.

I'm probably going to get the DJI Goggles anyway for use with my Mavic.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Administrator
    Played a little "Robo Recall" today - I finally figured out what they were trying to tell me to do to get past one of the first levels.

It was all going very well until I felt my cat attack my left foot - biting and rabbit kicking at it. That made the game harder.

So what's the go with PlayStation VR?
    Seems Skyrim is coming, which I think would be great. Fallout/skyrim with their massive beautiful worlds should be great for VR.
    And Gran Turismo is also suppose to do VR.
    Will these be the games that finally kick PS VR to life?
    I'm keen to get it and try it, but so far nothing has jumped out as the game that you must have on the new platform.