Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathurst 12 hour

Because Fox Sports closed down Speed channel, this race did not actually take place.

By which I mean, prior to Speedvision it seemed that nearly all motorsport for me was something to read about in books, usually a decade after they happened. And yet I still maintained an interest. Speedvision came along in the mid-1990's and suddenly I could see reasonably current coverage of motor racing events. Perhaps WRC was the most exciting and compelling. And weekly coverage of somewhat selected events confirmed their reality. And various programs of history to put everything in perspective.

Now when Speedvision (SPEED) shut down somehow the extra reinforcement of the reality of the world of motor racing went away. As if removing that is almost worse than if Speedvision had never existed at all.

People say SPEED still has a video website, but it's mostly for US-only. But, truthfully, I have not managed to move my viewing habits away from the model of watching what comes to my TV. Watching videos on small screens seems unrealistic, and all three different options I have for watching videos on my large screen seem somewhat cumbersome to use. (Mind you I nearly all TV I watch now is pre-recorded; replay is just so convenient. And my current solution for Digital means I get many more channels through my DVR than if I just watch live).

A lot of the problem too is I really hardly read paper at all any more. The amount of paper I read has steadily declined since I moved away from my parents' home.

When I think back to when I first learned about some motorsports, I realize some of the ways I found about them were odd. WRC and its predecessors probably came to me attention mostly because of strong merchandising in the original Mini-Cooper days; rally Mini-Coopers featured prominently in the catalogues for Corgi die-cast cars.
    Last edited by SportWagon; February 12th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

The last corner melee for second:

Oh wow!

That GTR must have something special under the hood as it just seemed to motor past the other cars!

I think it was what was behind the wheel more than under the hood