Page 1086 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 86586986103610761084108510861087108810961136118615862086 ... LastLast
Results 10,851 to 10,860 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Dumb of Ryan to try and claim the $1.50 as a victory. Dumb of people to look for the extra in their paychecks before the new tax tables are even published. How about we, as a country, table his and come back to it in March?

Administrator
    It was my understanding that, by now, withholdings from paychecks would generally line up with the new tax bill? Happy to wait if I'm wrong, but I hadn't heard anything to this point that it might take until March to show up.

Ryan himself said the new tax tables wouldn't be out until Mid-February which is what makes he tweet even stupider.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ne...rticle/2644089

“The average taxpayer in every income group is getting a tax cut,” House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said on "Good Morning America." “So I think when people actually see that instead of getting tax increases, they’re getting a tax cut, when they see the withholding tables changing in February and seeing more money in their paychecks, when they’re seeing the economic growth that will result from historic tax reform, I think minds are going to change.”
    -Dec 20, 2017
    The tables change in February. So you'll have to work a full pay period under that accounting before you see meaningful change. The earliest I think I'll see a bump is Feb 28, more like March 14.

It doesn't really matter. When you do your year end taxes you'll get your over-payment for the first ~6 weeks back anyway.

Private businesses could be anticipating the table and changing early but that's not a fair comparison since they would be using fabricated tables.

Administrator
    Fair. I'm surprised that's not being broadcast more widely, as the only date I'd heard up until this point was Jan. 15th to start seeing withholding changes (I totally forget where I heard that). That said, I didn't really see much of any change in mine, and a friend saw a minor change, so that would explain things.

Given our income level, I'd actually expect this tax plan to help us significantly, so my timeframe being wrong would make sense.

My tax withholding changed my last paycheck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We didn't say it wouldn't; actually said the opposite. The concern is the validity of the change.

Tables went out early, last month. It's up to the employers themselves to implement them.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-wi...-now-available

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1036.pdf

Jan 15th. was probably the first possible paycheck, being the first Thursday after their release on the 11th, hence that date being out there, but it's unlikely anyone saw it that soon.

I actually will benefit greatly from this, but I don't really care, it's still all bullshit.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; February 4th, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Excellent, thanks!

I am happy to be wrong once if it makes Ryan wrong twice.

They were published Jan 11. Employers would have had to pick them up immediately and the employee pay period would have to have fallen perfectly for someone to see effective change already. Not impossible but unlikely. Looks like the IRS is mandating/advising employers changeover by Feb 15.
    Last edited by dodint; February 4th, 2018 at 09:18 PM.

I like having more money, like anyone else, but I hate to see valuable services suffer for it.

My paycheck showed a difference last week.