Page 1921 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 9211421182118711911191919201921192219231931197120212421 ... LastLast
Results 19,201 to 19,210 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Theoretically Harris can override it, iirc or “fire” the parliamentarian, something like that. But, I don’t think Biden/Harris want to get “extreme” in their attempts at “unity”. I imagine minimum wage will come up again though in the near future, it’s a hot button topic. Not being able to do it through reconciliation will be an issue though, because the Senate is effectively under opposition control when the controlling party only has 50+1 votes due to the fillibuster
    Reality. Narrated by Jason.

It sets a very, very bad precedent/ slippery slope to over ride the parl...ian when you have a 1 vote (not quite) majority. Because some of the more pragmatic (read less progressive/ more conservative) members of your caucus may not vote with or OR switch parties, OR declare they are independent. There goes your (non) majority.

------

$15/ hr would have happened in the natural order of things in the next 2 years if Bernie had stayed in his lane. I firmly believe this.

The covid bill gives people immediate, albeit temporary, financial relief. Money goes to state governments, cities, families get more money if they have kids. Schools reopen (grrrr, don't get me started!*) life goes back to normal and the economy bounces back.
    Biden says in early 2022, "hey, look, the economy is going well (go with it, don't bring your common sense yet!**) we gave people money and it worked to reorient the economy, and we can supercharge it by raising the minimum wage, which is basically doing the same thing!" Republicans would have a fit, of course and come up with a pithy 3 word slogan against it. But Biden encourages Dems to run on raising the minimum wage.

Supermajority with filibuster proof senate, in my opinion. But Bernie fucked it up. Now senators who weren't even in the conversation are going to be on defense.

* teachers and all school staff needed/ need to be in the first group of people getting vaccinated because teachers are CRIMINALLY underpaid. And you can't open schools if it means we're going to lose teachers to covid. That's just fucking dumb.
    ** the ecenomy will always recover because there is too much money to be made in a healthy/ booming economy when more people have disposable income than in one where less people have disposable income. It's for this reason that i'm confident investing in Zimbabwean stocks even though that economy is crap. The companies that are segment leaders are not going to disappear overnight.

Progressives busy saying primary Manchin are forgetting that the entire covid relief bill doesn't pass without him, he's what's keeping us in the majority.

Look man! I don’t know what else to say.

I’ll let a black comedian speak for me.

With Trump gone and comedians are now beginning to laugh at democratic leadership, I really don’t see dems maintaining their slim majority in congress.

I know I know, it’s all Bernie’s fault. When GOP gains majority, it’ll all be republicans’ fault... it’s always somebody else’s fault.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Progressives busy saying primary Manchin are forgetting that the entire covid relief bill doesn't pass without him, he's what's keeping us in the majority.
    I’d fucking love if a Progressive replaced Manchin, but it’s so out of the realm of reality that I truly wonder what the hell people are thinking. We either get a moderate (Manchin) there, that’s on the side of Progressives like 50% of the time... or a full ass GQP member who won’t ever be on the side of the people.

The left needs to be concentrating on gaining Senate seats in 2022 and leaving Manchin, etc be. So that said moderates won’t be a “problem” anymore.
    Last edited by Jason; March 6th, 2021 at 07:38 PM.

I’d fucking love if a Progressive replaced Manchin, but it’s so out of the realm of reality that I truly wonder what the hell people are thinking. We either get a moderate (Manchin) there, that’s on the side of Progressives like 50% of the time... or a full ass GQP member who won’t ever be on the side of the people.

The left needs to be concentrating on gaining Senate seats in 2022 and leaving Manchin, etc be. So that said moderates won’t be a “problem” anymore.
    You're about to get an Oscar for your narration of this real time dramedy called real politics in America.

Not only should the left be working on that, they should be working on taking seats from the reddest of places. The problem with the left is the fragmentation. They just need to fight the right for the right to go on defense. But, ...

How do we concentrate on gaining more seats?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 6th, 2021 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    How do we concentrate on gaining more seats?
    It's not fucking rocket science. You go hardest at republican senators. Preferably in states with republican governors.

They typically go pretty hard on themselves already. Like Bush, Trump... I think even Mitch is planning some sort of exit strategy. Plus, time to go hard on them is while they are in charge. It kinda doesn’t make sense to blame your political opponents when you are in charge.

My kind of rocket science is to get better at governing. If you do what’s popular and right, such as voting for $15 min wage, you will win more supporters! Even some conservative voters! Come to people’s aid quickly when they need help, surely people will remember!

Lesser of the 2 evils is what causes low voting turnout. Show people what good really looks like instead!

Dems right now are exactly where you say they are. All they can do is show us how lousy GOP is. However, once in charge, they are not really able to show us how to be much better. Just a tiny bit better, but still favoring the rich establishment...

Congress should represent the will of the people. We can have all GQP removed, congress still won’t represent the will of the people.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 7th, 2021 at 07:57 AM.

Think of it this way, I think you sort of personifies what you’re talking about. You definitely practice what you preach at least.

You’d go hard at your opposition, Billi, trying to win the argument.

How ever, no matter how dumb and stupid Billi’s posts are, no matter how politically knowledgeable and how much nuances you detected, Billi still fundamentally has 2/3 of Americans agreeing with him on this min wage issue.

You cannot win people/votes over using your strategy.

It’s not just about beating the GOP, it’s about what you’re gonna do after you’ve beaten them. Dems do not know what they want to do and that’s a problem. They serve 2 masters, corporations and people... and neither group will be happy with the dems ‘pragmatic’ approach to things...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 7th, 2021 at 08:18 AM.