Page 1572 of 1625 FirstFirst ... 57210721472152215621570157115721573157415821622 ... LastLast
Results 15,711 to 15,720 of 16241

Thread: Politics

People must be very enthusiastic about Biden! He beat Bernie Sanders by landslides! How can they not be enthusiastic about him?

Anyway, these are extraordinary times..., maybe a 29point deficit can still beat Trump if the virus thing continued to be out of control...

Ask me about my bottom br
    Dude, in the article I posted above one of the mediating factors was indeed partisanship. Biden is the party's candidate, some voters are so in-line with party norm that they would go out and put in a vote for him even if he were some absent-minded old guy with cognitive problems.
    acket.

Enthusiasm is a bit different.

Take somebody like Neanderthal, heíd vote for both Obama and Biden, but he would be voting for Obama with more enthusiasm. Likewise he would be voting for Harris or Castro with more enthusiasm over Biden.

Ideally, we should have a candidate whoís not only electable, but also capable of stirring up votersí enthusiasm.

Anyway, I do hope Biden can continue to surprise us like he did during the primaries. We need to have more landslide victories over trump...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Ideally, we should have a candidate who’s not only electable, but also capable of stirring up voters’ enthusiasm.
    Which is the whole Trump thing. People know who he is, he says things that stir people up (America great!, Furriners dirty!, Jobs!) and presents general ideas that sound good. Then his surrogates in the media make those ideas sound reasonable or even strategic, or they make him sound competent. It doesn't matter that the final policy implemented is not what people signed up for or that he is a terrible manager. On the first part, the pitch, conservatives are fucking brilliant.

The whole notion of an "electable democrat" is frankly laughable, the core primary electorate is large within the party but because those electors who identify as democrats are a minority, the people who choose who the nominee is, have very little in common in terms of what they view as "electable" compared to the mass of voters.

Let's put it this way: America is roughly a majority of Burkean/Christian Democrats, a first minority of New Dealists, and a second minority of Anti-interventionists. The folk who are selecting Biden ro run because they think that he is somehow "electable" fail to notice that he is appealing to the same groups that like the fundamental reasoning behind Trump's policies* even if they don't like the guy. Instead of going for that part of the electorate that oppose in principle to his logic of government.

*As noted above, no such thing exists, it's a narrative created ex-post by media outlets whose interests are aligned with Trump backers'.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; March 31st, 2020 at 02:09 PM.
    acket.

Yeah, for sure Obama, Bill Clinton, and even Jimmy Carter didnít run as the most seasoned and more electable candidates... they all actually ran as DC outsiders...

Anyway, yeah, unless shit really hits the fan, I think Trump will have the advantage...

That's the thing, when people say "Bernie should not break the party", do they even remember the can of ass whoop Obama gave Hillary? Did it make people less enthusiastic about him?
    acket.

Anyway, this time around, I think itís apparent that Bernie failed to make a dent to the party let alone breaking it.

Democratic voters have made up their minds, they donít want Bernie at this point. That anti-establishment sentiment is long gone. Liberal Americans would rather return to status quo thanks to Trump. Sanders wasnít even close this time around, right? At least voters didnít get suckered into Bloombergís billion dollar purchase of the White House...

If things go well, maybe governors of NY and CA could end up as better candidates...

Why do I bother?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, this time around, I think it’s apparent that Bernie failed to make a dent to the party let alone breaking it. Democratic voters have made up their minds, they don’t want Bernie at this point.
    We. are. still. in. March.

acket.