Page 1280 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 2807801180123012701278127912801281128212901330138017802280 ... LastLast
Results 12,791 to 12,800 of 24769

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Hmm..., am I just remembering it wrong? I always brought me ID and that voting booklet that was mailed to me because it has all my ‘answers’...

So they don’t really care about my ID? Gotta remember to try this no ID thing next time..., but I always have it in my pocket anyway...

Even without ID, because we signed next to our names, so duplicate votes shouldn’t happen.
    Interesting that we don’t have a national standard...
    We dont sign - they put a line thru our names (mostly to check we did vote, since you can be fined for NOT VOTING).

We have multiple polling booths we can go to (technically we could go at any/all of the thousands that exist across the whole country)
    But even a "local vote" (ie a booth in my area) could be a dozen booths. They arent connected on the day, so I could go to each one and vote and they would only work it out later. If that did happen Id get in trouble and if the result was close it could cause the election to become invalid. "vote early, vote often"

As for "national standard" - thats a major flaw with the US system - its basically run at the state or even county level. We might have some odd rules, but its the same rules and voting method across the whole country. One organisation (independent of the Govt, but funded by them) runs the whole event - the Australian Electoral Commission.

We have some options other than turn up on the day at a local booth
    - vote out of region on the day (they wont have a list of names to mark, but will record your name and let you vote - means that each place requires a pile of voting cards for all 150 electorates)
    - vote by mail, this is an easy option, you need to "apply" but typically the major parties letter drop everyone with a "how to vote for us and how to apply for mail vote"
    - pre-poll (before the day) at a special centre. I do this often, as I used to work on election day doing the tv coverage, so I was busy or even in our capital. Up to about two weeks before (which is when the nomination of candidates close) you can go and do a "vote early". Usually there is only 1 or 2 places in a given area. But in a city (where most of us are) its not too far. Interestingly your votes wont get counted on election day - so dont go towards the TV stations predictions of the winner.

As I mentioned above - we have basically only 1 way to vote (but several ways/times/places you can do it).
    Thats pencil on paper. (we do have some options for visually impared...)

Here is a sample... https://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/How_to...se-of-reps.htm
    You must number every box and it must be clear - dont use the same number twice (actually you can number n-1 boxes! their sample wont let you do that! You can use a number that is too big eg 6 candidates use 1-5 and 7)

As for ID, I think only once have I been asked for ID. It was a state election, but just think it was a keen worker and early enough that there wasnt a queue slowing it all down!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Holy shit, now this is serious news:

Quote Originally Posted by NPR
    JUST IN: Democrats on the House Oversight Committee have released an interim report based on multiple whistleblowers who say the Trump administration is rushing to transfer sensitive U.S. nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia in violation of federal law.
    The alleged transfer of technology would have occurted at the direction of Kushner.
    acket.

I keep thinking of Senator Geary in The Godfather Part II.

Here's a fan wiki page about Senator Geary, if anyone is interested. Of course this is a fictional character, but it's not hard for me to imagine Trump having done something, perhaps long ago, for which he could be blackmailed by foreign powers now.

I'm not even suggesting something similar to this character, but just something. It could as easily be business-related as a matter of personal conduct.

https://godfather.fandom.com/wiki/Patrick_Geary

A simplified summary of the link above:

Spoiler:
    [Senator] Geary later spent the night with a prostitute in a brothel in Carson City run by [the mob family]. Having suffered from an alcoholic blackout, he [woke up] in a bed covered in blood next to the woman, who was dead...

...Geary had no memory of what happened, and was frantic with horror and worry. [The mob family's lawyer/spokesman] arrived on the scene and promised that the woman had no family [and] the matter could be safely covered up.

Geary was unaware that [the mob family] had engineered the situation. The girl, who was a drug addict, was seen as a necessary sacrifice. The [mob family's] "help" with the incident swayed Geary to the family's side.
    Last edited by George; February 19th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Something similar happened in Sin City...not to a politician though

Administrator
    I suppose this falls under politics, since he apparently wanted to kill lots of democrats...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.39394530e2d3

Nah, this ain’t politics, it’s just crazy.

One step forward, eight or nine steps back...

https://earther.gizmodo.com/report-t...-to-1832775121

Donald Trump’s administration is assembling a panel to determine whether climate change—which scientific experts broadly agree poses an existential threat to the safety and well-being of the world’s population and is caused by human emissions of greenhouse gases—is really a threat to national security. According to reports in the Washington Post and New York Times, said panel is predictably planned to be headed by a man who insists that carbon dioxide is good, actually, and once compared the gas’s “demonization” by scientists to Jews murdered during the Holocaust.

Carbon dioxide definitely can be 'good', for plants.

I think the biggest problem with climate change is do we really have consensus on how we can battle it? With regard to CO2 issue, it could be as simple as growing more trees, plants or phytoplankton... or perhaps situation is really as dire as some liberal scientists predicted... then we might resort to drastic measures... such as no more gas powered cars, no more flying, no more meats in our diets and perhaps we'll have to be forced to kill off some of the excessive human population who don't believe in climate change anyways? Do non-politically biased scientists really know what will get us back on track with regard to climate change? Earth's climate can be an incredibly complicated system. I think it's clear that our climate is warming, but I'm unconvinced if we know how to fix it.

Ain't nothing wrong with developing renewable energy, but to forcibly wean everyone off of fossil fuel, natural gas and become vegans in a short period of time with complete disregard of economic impact doesn't sound right to me either.