Page 1913 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 9131413181318631903191119121913191419151923196320132413 ... LastLast
Results 19,121 to 19,130 of 24779

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Who's this parliamentarian dude and why he is such a douche?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What do you mean? Are you a prophet of God? That as long as God and Pooh bear is with me, I shouldn't be afraid? Within 5 minutes of meeting Xi Jingpin, the Holy Spirit shall overcome the president of China and cause him to repent of his sins and accept Jesus?

Then all of China will be set free? Top Gun Maverick will be allowed to wear his original flight jacket... and even Dalai Lama will feel safe enough to return home in Tibet? Hallelujah!
    I see it more as a scene from one of the Owen Wilson + Jackie Chan movies

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    It’s just a distraction, even if the parliamentarian approved of the minimum wage portion, Manchin isn’t going along with it, and nor are Republicans, and Democrats don’t have a filibuster proof majority. Minimum wage is dead in the water until Dems win more seats in the Senate.

That's BS Jason.

If it were the republicans doing budget reconciliation to give tax cuts to the rich, if this freaking parliamentarian gets in their way, all they had to do is fire his ass and replace the person with another more agreeable parliamentarian and they'll be able to get their tax cuts for the rich.

Dems likes to have excuses when shit cannot get done. It's not our fault, blame it on the republicans or this parliamentarian. We want to give you living wage. Really, we really really do! But our hands are tied! So sorry american workers. Listen, if you vote republican, you'll get a worse deal. So stick with us! Trust us. We know what were doing. If you work hard and get a job on Wall Street, you'll be able to make way more than living wage! And if you work on Wall Street and need help, we'll definitely come to your rescue sooner and with less excuse. Because we need your funds!

Right now it's convenient to blame it on this parliamentarian. We don't want to show the world that not all democrats are for living wages... Dems love to say politically correct things, but often not do what is correct. This is the main reason why most conservatives thought political correctness is full of shit.

Neanderthal, no hard feelings. I know Republicans are way way worse, but I can't help but lashing out against the dems with this issue.

If Biden asks this parliamentarian nicely and firmly that he WANTS to pay american workers a living wage, will this parliamentarian really be stupid enough to stand up against the president? This unelected asshole has more power than the president and the elected senators? You gotta be kidding me.

Jason, realistically speaking, we probably need to kick all republican senators out of the senate in order to pass this thing... which is probably never... unless progressives form a major 3rd party and work with the more reasonable dems...

Democratic party as is... is just broken... and based on what I've seen so far, I don't believe Biden will do much to change anything. Status quo is the best he'll do. Yes, he's better than Trump, for sure. But still not good enough. With this kind of performance, it's only matter of time before Trump and the GOP regain power. Somebody really need to lock him up soon!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 2nd, 2021 at 01:44 PM.

My point is, parliamentarian or not, we don’t have the votes in the Senate to pass anything left of moderate. Manchin and Sinema will not go along with anything that Warren and Sanders want, basically.

Junior Potato
    An alleged rapist in our federal parliament is due to out himself today. He'll fall on his sword for the good of the party. It's also a nice distraction from the other rape scandal that has befallen federal politics in Australia.

The woman who made the allegations in 2019, dating back to 1988, committed suicide in 2020, so the case can't be prosecuted.

He will basically get away with it. It's an open secret that his name is Christian Porter and he is our Attourney General, the top lawmaker in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    My point is, parliamentarian or not, we don’t have the votes in the Senate to pass anything left of moderate. Manchin and Sinema will not go along with anything that Warren and Sanders want, basically.
    I understand.

This parliamentarian thing is just a cover for the party.

They should've let those senators vote it down, let them feel the heat.

If we lose those seats to the Republicans, would that really make much of a difference? Those 2 senators are essentially republicans wrapped in democrat's clothing, no? If they truly represent their constituents, surely their seats will continue to be safe. If they don't really represent their constituents, surely voters will vote in a new guy... hopefully somebody bluer.

Biden fought harder to get Neera confirmed than giving american workers a living wage. That is fucked up.

If you can't even negotiate with people within your own party, what kind of freaking BS are you trying to pull by pretending to be bipartisan? Unify your own party 1st. If $15/hr is too much for those 2 senators, work with them and see what other options are available? Perhaps some sort of UBI to help fill in the gap? Or perhaps some exclusion clause? Allowing mom and pop small businesses to hire part timer students without needing to meet the min wage requirements?

If this trend continues, Biden/Harris will definitely not get my vote come 2024. I get the feeling that Biden himself isn't really for $15 min wage. Otherwise he'll fight as hard as he is right now for Neera. Biden was so firm with this opening up schools in 100 days so that their parents get get back to working slave wages. Bravo!

If we can't even get it done thru budget reconciliation, we'll probably never be able to get it done. I shall be a 3rd partier til I die. Actually, I just might not vote for people I don't like. Why waste my protest votes on people I also might not like. Will find other ways to influence US politics.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 2nd, 2021 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    BTW, parliamentarian is not a dude, but a dudette.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/u...mentarian.html

To be fair to her, she's claiming she's doing her job by trying to uphold constitutionality of the bill...

Even if that were really the case, if it were up to you, would you deny american workers living wages because you deem certain bill to be unconstitutional as if you're a supreme court judge?

I find it unbelievable. It's like saying this bill giving American workers living wage is so unbiblical, I cannot approve of this because God doesn't not approve this... or founding fathers must not want this...

I dunno man, I just can't believe constitution is against giving american workers living wages.

I'd find it more believable if she were to declare the entire budget reconciliation process as something unconstitutional, but just this specific thing as unconstitutional?

I just think she's clearly covering for the democratic party. Biden from the get go was signalling that we can forget about min wage increase from this bill because he couldn't get all the democratic senators onboard.

He personally cannot take that out, but he probably doesn't want it to not pass with dem senators voting against him... I can understand he's in a tough bind, but I just didn't see him putting up much of a fight.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 2nd, 2021 at 02:23 PM.

Okay, glad to see Neera Tanden withdraw. I would be totally pissed to see $15 min wage striped and her confirmed as budget chief.

FWIW Manchin/Sinema support the COVID relief bill minus the minimum wage hike. Republicans don't support the bill at all. So the big difference between moderate Dems and Republicans is that the former will vote to support many Dem bills whereas Republicans will almost never support. Also, if those two seats are replaced by Republicans, then you have McConnell as Senate Majority Leader, and no bills from the House will get voted on, and no judges/justices will get confirmed.

There is nuance to running this country.