Page 1067 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 67567967101710571065106610671068106910771117116715672067 ... LastLast
Results 10,661 to 10,670 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Quit trying to explain it away. It's racism. Economic gap does not exacerbate the issue. The economic gap is an issue, for sure, but it's a different, unconnected issue. There are poor people who aren't racist at all. There are rich people that are racist as fuck (see our president, he's never been poor in his entire life).

Also, Trump's voters were not overwhelmingly poor. About a third of people who voted for him make six figures. 2/3 of them make more than the median income in the United States. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.63aa3353fcf9

Honestly, to some extent it sounds like your solution is "just make sure you pay black people less than white people, otherwise they'll get irrationally angry", and that's an insane solution.
    Maybe I also have a writing problem, I'm really not sure how you come up with that solution as something that I came up with. Is it because of my user name?

Anyway, not trying to explain racism away. It exists. Not trying to convince you otherwise. There will always be racism. There will also always be poor people... Not asking for communism either.

What I AM saying that we need to first find a solution for ALL to be able to climb the economic ladder better. If we are ALL better off financially, it'll be better for everybody. The widening gap between the rich and the poor is our biggest problem IMHO. If we can somehow narrow this gap, we'll be able to ease poor blacks being discriminated more and also allow the deplorable white trash to feel less angry.

USA has enough voters willing to vote for a black president for 2 terms. I think that's proof enough that our nation isn't mostly racist.

Race aside, Obama energized folks and gave people hope of a better future.

Hillary didn't do that. Had Obama truly delivered us a better future, it would've been much easier for Hillary. Somewhere along the line, this hopeful future didn't quite arrive. Anyway, enough folks are happy enough with status quo to gave Hillary the popular vote... however, there was also enough unsatisfied voters who went to Trump.

Not trying to justify my idiot president in any way, but the guy is obviously just using the deplorable white(Bannon) votes for his own gain. He has no problems firing Bannon or disavowing KKK whenever things don't suit him. The guy is mostly concern with just money or self, not really the color of his ass or anybody elses. But anyway, I don't really know him, so just guessing.

Things for sure had made a turn for the worst, but for Neanderthal, I'm pretty sure Hillary's status quo won't do much better either. DNC will offer sympathetic ears for blacks, but not much will be done while allowing the rich poor gap to continue to grow out of control.

The only candidate that energized the voters was Sanders.

Trump only had a shot because there was enough voters unhappy with status quo.

If our nation were really full of deplorables, then Obama would never have won.

There is still hope. Future politicians just need to figure out how to deliver hope to us.... and only offer 'status quo' if everything's find and dandy.

Narrowing the gap between rich and poor is also something that can be done more easily than to turn racists into loving human beings.

Blacks used to have zero role models. Today, there are all kinds of awesome black role models in all kinds of fields. White supremacist can continue to believe whatever they want to believe..., but their days are numbered.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 12th, 2018 at 09:27 AM.

I remember when I heard Captain Kirk say "Let's get the hell out of here" on TV after a particularly difficult adventure. It was a rerun at the time, not "live" TV, but only a few years after the original first aired. As a kid, that shocked me.

Then I remember Hawkeye Pierce calling an evil man a bastard at the end of a M*A*S*H episode. As a teenager, that shocked me.

Last night I saw the text "Shithole Countries" as the graphic up on the screen on CNN. I saw it again this morning on a TV in the lobby of an office building. As a parent of two kids in elementary school, that shocked me.

Hey, I'm no prude. I'm all for creative cursing, but it's sad when the TV news uses it while quoting the president.

Quote Originally Posted by Denetti
    Every day is a new low.
    Indeed.

That brings up another point..., if president curses, then censorship no longer applies?

Every news media outlet is now unfiltered tweets for Trump?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    the s-word has been able to be used in Cable for a while, even South Park did a whole episode about it

Yeah, I know there are some cable shows and network TV shows too that push the boundaries, as Star Trek and M*A*S*H and All In The Family did back then.

I was just surprised to see it in print, and staying there on the lower part of the screen as the topic being discussed.

Personally, I think shithole is a pretty funny word, when it's not in the news because the asshole-in-chief said it in public.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    One reason to respect our northern friends.

U.S. ambassador to Panama resigns, says cannot serve Trump
    acket.

Shithole is going to be a household word now.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    That's the exact problem: Money.

Limit campaigns to $2M and 6 weeks. no PACs, and get rid of fucking lobbying (NRA, Oil, Pharma, etc).
    Exactly. They were already talking about 2020 before 2018. Hell, I think before trump even took office. All politicians do now is campaign (read: get donations) non-stop. trump never stopped campaigning since he took office.

There definitely needs to be a limit on both. It's gotten out of control.

Administrator
    The big problem, of course, is Citizens United. Now, that could all be changed if you passed new laws or even potentially a constitutional amendment to fix that situation. Then the question becomes, how do you motivate a bunch of legislators to cut off their main source of wealth?