Page 2280 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 1280178021802230227022782279228022812282229023302380 ... LastLast
Results 22,791 to 22,800 of 24777

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    Peterson was liberal the same way Diamond and Silk claimed they were liberal. Or George Santos.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    In wacko news which is summed up pretty well by this tweet:

Richard Newby - @RICHARDLNEWBY
    Discovered a niche section of Disney adults on here who are upset that Splash Mountain is being changed to The Princess and the Frog instead “honoring the legacy” of Song of the South (which I’d bet good money the vast majority haven’t seen.)

Which is pretty accurate, some people were going to great lengths to "save" this ride (based on Song of the South which has some issues regarding depictions of race) from getting a re-theme to one with a black, female protagonist (The Horror!!). A very specific subset of people (can you guess which ones?) were extremely upset and tried calling Governor DeSantis's office to "preserve the ride as a historical monument"....the cringe.

The ride itself is a very long ride and is excellent but the flume part itself is not changing at all, they're just changing the scenery but racists gotta racist

It really is an insanely weird hill...excuse me, mountain, to die on.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    I love how everyone is ignoring Billi and he's pretty much talking to himself in this thread now.

But I'll respond to one thing...

Nobody is pushing Jordan Peterson to the right - his own comments are doing that. He appeals to right-wing maggots because he spews what they like. I know he thinks he's liberal, but his commentary would suggest otherwise. I think it's dishonest of him to profess otherwise.
    It's good to talk to oneself sometimes. At least I can get it off my chest, it's kinda like therapy... However, I suppose it's a bit selfish to do this when other's don't feel like reading your trash. But anyways, this is the political thread. Just treat it as a trash can.

Anywho, Peterson is clearly never part of the FAR left, he considers himself 'classical british liberal'. What ever that means. After a bit of googling, this is how it's defined according to wiki:
    Classical liberals were committed to individualism, liberty, and equal rights. They believed these goals required a free economy with minimal government interference. Some elements of Whiggery were uncomfortable with the commercial nature of classical liberalism. These elements became associated with conservatism.
    Self proclaim liberal who, in today's standards, is clearly a conservative.

Likewise with Musk, clearly he was also never a full liberal, but just with liberal leanings and believed Dems are the kinder gentler party...

Of course Musk doesn't believe he shifted, but if he would endorse DeSantis, clearly he has shifted. I suppose as a business owner, shifting toward the right is inevitable.

Anyway, I personally feel that Peterson is at about the center. I thought he's pretty balanced. However, most here probably think he's a Nazi white supremacist. Unlike Musk, based on what I've read and heard from Peterson, I don't think he has shifted much politically from wherever he was. The only shift that I can tell was that he became a Christian from an agnostic.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 23rd, 2023 at 12:32 PM.

For clarification, Billi is on my ignore list and will likely stay there forever. I haven't read any of his posts since putting him there, nor will I. I have no bandwidth for frustrating wheelspin. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    In wacko news which is summed up pretty well by this tweet:

Richard Newby - @RICHARDLNEWBY
    Discovered a niche section of Disney adults on here who are upset that Splash Mountain is being changed to The Princess and the Frog instead “honoring the legacy” of Song of the South (which I’d bet good money the vast majority haven’t seen.)

Which is pretty accurate, some people were going to great lengths to "save" this ride (based on Song of the South which has some issues regarding depictions of race) from getting a re-theme to one with a black, female protagonist (The Horror!!). A very specific subset of people (can you guess which ones?) were extremely upset and tried calling Governor DeSantis's office to "preserve the ride as a historical monument"....the cringe.

The ride itself is a very long ride and is excellent but the flume part itself is not changing at all, they're just changing the scenery but racists gotta racist

It really is an insanely weird hill...excuse me, mountain, to die on.
    This is a really tricky and problematic issue for a company with such long history... I certainly don't envy the position Disney is in.

Again, I will both side the issue... White supremacists would want to change and cover up history and pretend they've done nothing wrong. Lefties would also want to cancel or hide these 'histories', but only make them available in schools so kids can remember all the hatred but can't romanticize about those inappropriate past history...

Audiences really ought to take into consideration when such movies were made...

To be honest, I thought Zippity Doo Dah is a pretty cool song! However, maybe it's because I'm racist?

People are really too easily offended nowadays.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 23rd, 2023 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaKid86 View Post
    For clarification, Billi is on my ignore list and will likely stay there forever. I haven't read any of his posts since putting him there, nor will I. I have no bandwidth for frustrating wheelspin. Sorry.
    Absolutely no need to apologize. This is probably for the best.

Whatever Jordan Peterson thinks of himself, I don’t care. I don’t like him. These days I judge people by their audience. Who they primarily appeal to the most is telling of what they really are, despite the smokescreens they engineer around themselves.

Here in Ontario the governing medical body or whatever is threatening to strip Peterson of his license to practice as a clinical psychologist unless he undergoes some kind of sensitivity or inclusiveness training, or something like that. He’s crying foul acting like a victim. with all the talking points at his thumb such as freedumb of speech being threatened etc. Is it a little fascist? Maybe. But definitely necessary to combat the bullshit in today’s world.

In an unrelated note, I recently rewatched Fahrenheit 9/11 and it was an unpleasant reminder of how evil Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld etc were, and how much I loathed them all. Now some 19 years later a lot of people consider them to be saints. Almost angelic compared to today’s typical Republican. The truth of the matter is these people were not, and are not anything remotely resembling angels, they are still ugly, and the Republicans of today are just getting uglier and uglier.

Imagine DeSantis as President in a few years, and the ugliness mutating far worse than it is today. Moderate people may look back at Trump and consider him to be an angel too. It’s truly sickening.
    Last edited by sandydandy; January 23rd, 2023 at 03:51 PM.

Well, if we judge people purely by their audiences, Jesus Christ, real or not, is probably a horrible person!

Personally I think it’s kinda funny that we need a governing body enforcing politically correctness trainings and revoke professional licenses if someone fails or refuse. Shouldn’t lack of competency and/or fraud be the deciding factors for professionalism?

From what I’ve learned, Peterson had simply been the father those young men never had. Mainly encouraging them to take up responsibilities! He’s not training them to be Nazis!

Anyway, Peterson is worlds apart from Trump and W. I think it’s obvious neither of those ex-presidents had been very responsible of their duties.

Yeah, Peterson is politically incorrect, but we just need to be as correct as possible, if we’re incorrect, then we need to repent and correct ourselves. I don’t believe in political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Whatever Jordan Peterson thinks of himself, I don’t care. I don’t like him. These days I judge people by their audience. Who they primarily appeal to the most is telling of what they really are, despite the smokescreens they engineer around themselves.

Here in Ontario the governing medical body or whatever is threatening to strip Peterson of his license to practice as a clinical psychologist unless he undergoes some kind of sensitivity or inclusiveness training, or something like that. He’s crying foul acting like a victim. with all the talking points at his thumb such as freedumb of speech being threatened etc. Is it a little fascist? Maybe. But definitely necessary to combat the bullshit in today’s world.

In an unrelated note, I recently rewatched Fahrenheit 9/11 and it was an unpleasant reminder of how evil Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld etc were, and how much I loathed them all. Now some 19 years later a lot of people consider them to be saints. Almost angelic compared to today’s typical Republican. The truth of the matter is these people were not, and are not anything remotely resembling angels, they are still ugly, and the Republicans of today are just getting uglier and uglier.

Imagine DeSantis as President in a few years, and the ugliness mutating far worse than it is today. Moderate people may look back at Trump and consider him to be an angel too. It’s truly sickening.
    Certain people always get rehabilitated in the publics eye, over time. If you're black, you're only going to get rehabilitated in the publics eye, if you were right all along. See, Martin Luther King, Mohammed Ali, Tommy Carlos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaKid86 View Post
    New Zealand is this idyllic bellwether of decency. The world needed a leader like Jacinda on the world stage. Good for her, shame for us.
    Reviving this comment, as I rarely visit this thread.

Although Jacinda is popular on the global stage, after two terms of a far left government in NZ, there's a right wing resurgence (which in NZ means "all about the money" not "foaming lunatics with conspiracy theories and assault weapons"). So the Labour Party (who she leads) is in a poor position to win the next election in October.

To clarify, I am far left politically, so I am a big Jacinda fan.

The level of criticism for Jacinda and Labour is intense, and ongoing. Because she's a woman (how dare she be a woman!!) the level of misogynistic bullshit is quite high. That sort of shit for many years has just worn her down. She wants to be able to get married, and be more of a mum to her kidlet. She can't do that while being PM, it's too all consuming.