Page 1234 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 2347341134118412241232123312341235123612441284133417342234 ... LastLast
Results 12,331 to 12,340 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    I'll disagree there as I think that voter disenfranchisement is a really big issue right now, and voter ID is a pretty well known tactic for that. Trying to claim that you can vote if you can buy cereal when voter ID laws are in place I don't think is stupidity, it's part of a script he's following poorly. It mostly just sounds like he's stupid, but it's part of a much larger issue that I think directly affects our democracy.

FWIW, I think it's good that nobody here focused on his not showing up for events due to rain but that this is something we've discussed. One is ultimately unimportant, the other, IMHO, actually is.

Also, I don't have a problem with anything that lets me point and laugh for a few minutes, but that's me.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; November 14th, 2018 at 04:07 PM.

You'll note (or not) that I was specifically referring to journalists wasting their time and resources. But what gets more clicks, yet another article discussing Trump being an idiot or an exploration of a policy decision? I can see where you were confused by my wording, specifically the phrase "Use that time to learn something" which shifted the burden from the journalists to the user, my mistake there.

Voter disenfranchisement is important. Cutting 12 words out of a paragraph and offering it up as a complete thought is very disingenuous; journalistically irresponsible and unacceptable before social media. Intelligent well-minded people here could not make sense of it beyond it being a punchline. When viewed in its full context it's pretty clear to understand his meaning; "if you have an ID already for [everyday activity] what's the problem with using it to vote?" You're right, that's a baseline talking point of a Voter ID proponent. Why does it need to be covered in the truncated form and packaged as ridicule for syntax? Ridicule it because it's poor policy. If you're to be honest with yourself you'll see attacking the policy wasn't the intent of packaging it as an excerpt. It was for the lulz.

Administrator
    Fair point about clickbait vs real articles that actually have some depth, I hated working for a company that specialized in clickbait titles and articles that essentially just summarized Reddit threads on the day's events. That said, I don't know that I expect much more from Bloomberg.

Also, I find it hilarious that he couldn't essentially handle a one line script and say what you stated as his meaning, and I have no problem with laughing at the dummy nor do I consider it a waste of my time. I find it quite enjoyable.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; November 14th, 2018 at 04:50 PM.

I drive cars in circles for fun. Who am I to judge?

Administrator
    Me too, so I think I'm still one down on you.

Re Voter ID, I will only ever support it if said IDs are free, easy to get, and don't require a permanent address. But, conservatives don't want that, they just want to limit the amount of (certain) people voting, while hiding behind the voter fraud boogey man.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    We have voter IDs in Mexico.

But we also have a national system for organizing elections, i.e. federal over state, and the voting ID is pervasive and almost compulsively accepted.

It can promote voting rights, but it is a *very* expensive system and its centralized, which i don't think you yanks are too hot about.
    acket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    We have voter IDs in Mexico.

But we also have a national system for organizing elections, i.e. federal over state, and the voting ID is pervasive and almost compulsively accepted.

It can promote voting rights, but it is a *very* expensive system and its centralized, which i don't think you yanks are too hot about.
    I don't know that it's so much a "you yankees" as there's almost no evidence of any "impersonation" voter fraud, which is the only thing that voter ID would prevent. It'd be an expensive system that would attempt to solve a problem that, for everyone except dear leader, doesn't exist. ACLU says there are 31 credible allegations of impersonation voter fraud since the 2000 election. For all our faults, fraudulent elections appear to not be one of the ones that we have.

As usual, left laughs at president being out of touch by twisting his words out of context. Right also enjoys falsely accused blue states for allowing ‘illegals’ to vote. Fake news on both sides while nothing is being solved.

I really don’t understand why the left is so against voting with ID. Why couldn’t federal government subsidizes poor folks so that they can afford proper ID? Deficit too high? Maybe the legal battle fees saved could help some poor folks get some proper IDs?

Partisan politics is just so stupid.