Page 1773 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 7731273167317231763177117721773177417751783182318732273 ... LastLast
Results 17,721 to 17,730 of 24769

Thread: Politics

I thought American voters are dumb because a lot of us actually did not have a college education, but apparently college education doesn’t help!

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3677308001

Why are we paying so much for college?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I thought American voters are dumb because a lot of us actually did not have a college education, but apparently college education doesn’t help!

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3677308001

Why are we paying so much for college?
    See post #1807 in the pandemic thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    Before I jump into the deep end, I'd like to re-emphasize that the majority of these issues are rooted in and reactions to states cutting university funding across the nation. It's not that they suddenly got greedy, but were rather backed into the corner.

So why do they need students on campus? It largely comes down to big universities being low-key terrified of community colleges. Big schools make huge proportions of their money on first and second year students as they are often required to live on campus and not only do they pay the school rent - they buy the meal plans, actually purchase their overpriced books new at the on-campus bookstore, etc. Juniors and seniors don't do nearly as much of this stuff- plus, there are inherently fewer of them.

Studies indicate that students generally perceive that there's pretty much no difference between an amazing professor teaching online and a crappy one*. Further, most of time your intro courses aren't going to be taught by the amazing, famous-y professors anyway. Therefore, maybe a community college is a better bet if it's 1/3 the price per credit hour.

So if students aren't getting better educations at big universities, what else is drawing them? The main thing is your classic "College experience" - live in a dorm, rush a fraternity, get drunk/high, get into tie-dye, join a competitive hacky-sack team, hang out with cool grad students, etc. This is a big part of why schools have spent the past 15 years or so investing absolutely ridiculous amounts of money on "student amenities" - Dorms with rock-climbing walls, spas, movie theaters, and rooms that are frankly luxurious compared to in the past. And you can't get most of that stuff at a CC or any of that stuff if you're taking classes online in your parents basement in the pandemic. This focus on the "on-campus experience" has resulted in two major things - a low-key arms race between schools, and schools being massively invested in real estate/infrastructure which is beyond completely useless if they can't put students in them.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    i bet if he loses he won't stop the rallies. Think about it, he has only served one term, thus he would still be within his rights to continue to campaign for the next presidential election. And he has a bunch of crazy people that love him and will continue to show up. He'll just keep holding rallies and saying shit about every little thing that Biden does in the White House. You'll start seeing Trump 2024 paraphernalia everywhere.

I'm serious, it won't stop until he leaves this mortal coil.
    Shit I never thought of that.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    i bet if he loses he won't stop the rallies. Think about it, he has only served one term, thus he would still be within his rights to continue to campaign for the next presidential election. And he has a bunch of crazy people that love him and will continue to show up. He'll just keep holding rallies and saying shit about every little thing that Biden does in the White House. You'll start seeing Trump 2024 paraphernalia everywhere.

He's been campaigning since day 1. It's all he wants, adoration and applause.

Voted this morning.

I was about to say the same thing, and if anyone brings charges against him he'll claim it's another political witch hunt and he should be immune or something.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    I was about to say the same thing, and if anyone brings charges against him he'll claim it's another political witch hunt and he should be immune or something.
    Of course it will. And that's why it has to be airtight. Like his "I call the CEO of Exxon..." comment today.

There'll be a notation on his calendar about a call or meeting with someone. Hopefully, a recording of said meeting. And a confession/ tweet from him. Plus the actual action decided in the meeting.

I was excited about the mics being shut off in the next debate, but it's only for the two minute duration of the opening statement.

If Trump goes first, Biden should attack him mercilessly in those two minutes, bring up his record of failure, his bankruptcies, his divorces, his presidency. Then say, I can do much better than him.

Trump will be unhinged for the rest of the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

*more unhinged

I don't think there wer ever any hinges to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I was excited about the mics being shut off in the next debate, but it's only for the two minute duration of the opening statement.

If Trump goes first, Biden should attack him mercilessly in those two minutes, bring up his record of failure, his bankruptcies, his divorces, his presidency. Then say, I can do much better than him.

then bring up the fact his town hall got better ratings head to head...