Page 1281 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 2817811181123112711279128012811282128312911331138117812281 ... LastLast
Results 12,801 to 12,810 of 24769

Thread: Politics

I think a more interesting question is...
    Is it easier/cheaper to mitigate the effects than to fix the source of the problem.

Unfortunately that depends very much on what others do. If you are a small nation then the answer is clear - no point going alone in cutting CO2, better off putting your effort into getting your country to cope with the effects.

It’s a global problem and will need a global solution.
    Unless we get the majority to cut emissions then it’s a waste of effort.

However that should stop some of the important, but not so large, countries taking a lead and cutting emissions. The net effect of their cuts might be small, but showing they are willing is important.
    But we need USA and China to be onboard or it’s going to be a futile effort.

Unless the shit is just poisonous or radioactive or proven really harmful like ddt or older generation refrigerants, I think govt shouldn’t take the banning approach, but instead just encourage renewable developments. CO2 is a naturally occurring compound in our atmosphere after all. Plus, why would Trump or dictators Xi listen to you?

Slowly wean us off of non-renewable stuffs by making car mpg standards incrementally higher and hope eventually renewable tech can catch up and become price competitive so people would switch over willingly.

Really no need to make our climate such a political topic.

Also, surely there are other more dire environmental concerns than CO2? Plastic crap are not naturally occurring and they are now everywhere! I would not be oppose to stop making single use plastic stuffs within 10 years... or maybe even right now!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 21st, 2019 at 05:48 PM.

Administrator
    That's pretty much what cap and trade is. Incentivizing cutting down on greenhouse gasses. And the government has regularly made car mpg standards incrementally higher, though Trump's either tried to or has rescinded the mpg increase requirements that the Obama administration put into place.

And you don't have to focus on one thing. They're also focusing on "plastic crap", we've had a plastic bag ban for a while now and they just started with the plastic straws. Baby steps, but even those are getting some people bent out of shape.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 21st, 2019 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Really no need to make our climate such a political topic.
    Because it does take govt to either restrict or ban it...

The reason we are in this mess is that fossil fuels turned out to be cheap and plentiful - we have been burning huge amounts for a decent while.
    The alternatives are not that cheap. And "free market" doesnt work well when the cost of disposal is free but the harm from disposal is big.

So we need politics to step in. Ban, regulate, tax... do something or the planet will be a big big mess.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    no need to make our climate such a political topic.
    Because that is the definition of politics, the exercise of power in public. Duh!
    acket.

So, the NC board of elections is having a new election after overwhelming evidence of vote tampering?

They get to try again? And aren't automatically disqualified?!? WTF? Why not try to rig every election, if the worst case is that you have to try again legally. JFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Because it does take govt to either restrict or ban it...

The reason we are in this mess is that fossil fuels turned out to be cheap and plentiful - we have been burning huge amounts for a decent while.
    The alternatives are not that cheap. And "free market" doesnt work well when the cost of disposal is free but the harm from disposal is big.

So we need politics to step in. Ban, regulate, tax... do something or the planet will be a big big mess.
    I understand all that. Who wouldn’t want to save the planet? Our one and only home? Just as who wouldn’t want to save their own babies if they can? Do we really need the government telling us what to do? Because government is morally and scientifically superior to us? Do you really trust your government to know what they’re doing? Run by a bunch of spineless corrupt politicians?

Further, if it weren’t Al Gore pushing for this, maybe it’d be easier for the conservatives to buy into climate change? By politicizing this issue, it makes it harder for the other half of the population to want to accept it. Sadly.

Still, I think we should formulate a plan for a fix with minimal economic impact 1st. Not to formulate a drastic green new 10 year plan... even if we made such commitment, there’s no guarantee that it will slow down climate change. Our actions may already be too little too late... or perhaps earth has a way to rebalance itself in ways we don’t know yet...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 22nd, 2019 at 08:23 AM.

Administrator
    Spoiler:

Further, if it weren’t Al Gore pushing for this

What year is it?!?

As far as I remember, he's the one that brought it global attention. I'm just guessing that's probably the reason why it became politicized. If we had a more neutral famous spokes person, perhaps we could avoid making this topic so political?

Just as if you wish to convince or sell some idea to folks in this forum, it's probably not good idea to let Billi be your spokesman.

Should've been some body with less political baggage that's all I'm saying. Anyway, water under the bridge...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 22nd, 2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    So, the NC board of elections is having a new election after overwhelming evidence of vote tampering?

They get to try again? And aren't automatically disqualified?!? WTF? Why not try to rig every election, if the worst case is that you have to try again legally. JFC.
    Well, I guess if you don't have evidence of the guy actually had knowledge of tampering, then he's off the hook?

Hope the voters will figure out who's best for them...

We probably should do these races just like olympics or something... if the winner is disqualified for whatever reasons, the 2nd place finisher should inherit the win. Shouldn't have to waste voters' time and taxpayer's money to redo the race. But then again, maybe that's not a great idea either... the 2nd place finisher could've tampered with the ballots, knowing that he wouldn't win a legit election based on polls and then do this tampering to cause the disqualification of the real winner?

So I dunno, maybe they should just have a do over...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 22nd, 2019 at 09:12 AM.