Page 1094 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 94594994104410841092109310941095109611041144119415942094 ... LastLast
Results 10,931 to 10,940 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I think we should have a separate "Billi vs everyone else" thread

Administrator
    Hah, yeah, probably. I'll try to be good for a while. At least I was good about not quoting him.

I think these threads would go a lot easier if people didn’t keep trying to wilfully misrepresent what billi was saying and left the really lame schoolyard bullying for the schoolyard. For a group of people who like to claim the moral high ground you’ve been acting very poorly.

Administrator
    I don't feel like I've done that, certainly not willfully. I don't want to do that, and if you feel like I have, I'd like to know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    because you claimed that he wasn't making much sense and that he was "bitching and whining." Not that the employer had done anything wrong, but that it was his fault...
    Bold text, for example, is possibly a willful misrepresentation..., something I never said. I see it as you reading between the lines. You assumed since I blamed the employee, I must then think the unethical employer as innocent.

Is this willful or accidental?

Do you really believe that we cannot blame both the employee and the employer when a corporation commit unethical behaviors?

I don't know what you guys are talking about but the GOP's plan to blow the deficit up makes me laugh my ass off.

(Yes, yes, this is all part of their long-term plan to kill Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security, got it -- still hilarious!)
    Last edited by novicius; February 12th, 2018 at 04:39 AM.

How self sufficient you can be?

Hyperinflation is only for imports as your loans are all dollars, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Today's question is what to do with those who have nothing to do.
    Some of us are going to be around for quite some time.
    I was thinking about this, and in the future presumably, as an ultimate result of extensive automation, more people will be forced to be criminals, and as a response more money will need to be spent on law enforcement and crime prevention, but whether that will mean more people will end up employed in the law enforcement sector is unclear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno...l_unemployment

Not sure how long it will be before that article gets a whole lot of "non-encyclopedic" tags.

Tangential to this I came upon the device "Breaking Wheel", and the true origin and original meaning of the phrase "coups de grāce". After reading, I thought that most would think that at my age none of that should be new information to me. A sheltered life, I guess. You can Google too. Well, actually you can't. You can search the web using the Google-brand search engine.
    Last edited by SportWagon; February 14th, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post

Today's question is what to do with those who have nothing to do.
    Some of us are going to be around for quite some time.
    This is a legitimate issue going forward, that without a plan in advance, will be a big problem.

How far away from self-driving cars are we?

In the US, you are looking at the elimination of some 3.5 million Truck driver jobs. 250,000 taxi drivers.

That's not to mention retail jobs, factory jobs... and so on.

The current wealth gap is going to continue, and only widen... substantially. Perhaps legislators can kick the can down the road a few more times, but I think we are headed to a 1920's style depression in the next two decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica..._United_States states 233,900 cab drivers. April 4, 2017, if I read correctly. I.e. the same as what you say.

That sounds surprisingly small. Less than 1 in 1000 people is a taxi driver?

Well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica...United_Kingdom says 298,000 cab drivers in the UK, if I read correctly. Minimum 134,000. But I think the remaining licenses for "private hire" vehicles are essentially taxi drivers. For a country of 1/4 the population.

Which suggests in the U.S. private cars are used in lots of situations where taxis would be used in the UK.

Hmm. Seems somewhat political.
    Last edited by SportWagon; February 14th, 2018 at 10:38 AM.