Page 1201 of 2473 FirstFirst ... 2017011101115111911199120012011202120312111251130117012201 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,010 of 24728

Thread: Politics

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    how to increase the female vote to 100% in the U.S. ...offer a bunch of pumpkin-spice food and drinks for voting

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    So the 10% that didn’t vote, will they get penalized somehow? Like additional taxes?
    There can be penalties applied if you don't have a good reason. I have no idea how well this is enforced.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    how to increase the female vote to 100% in the U.S. ...offer a bunch of pumpkin-spice food and drinks for voting
    Srsly?

You can leave your man card on your way out, buddy.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; October 12th, 2018 at 09:50 PM.
    acket.

I love pumpkin spice.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Srsly?

You can leave your man card on your way out, buddy.
    I forgot, we can't make humor these days

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    I love pumpkin spice.
    Same 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I forgot, we can't make humor these days
    What you are not seeing is that your attempt at humour is in bad taste in this thread, considering a lot of the recent conversation has been about Kavanaugh/men treating women unfairly.

Which isn't what that is.

I found it mildly funny, and I think that most of the women who proudly call themselves 'basic' with a smile and down them by the gallon would too. It's okay to laugh once in a while.

BTW, I love PSLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    So the 10% that didn’t vote, will they get penalized somehow? Like additional taxes?
    You get a fine - its about $200
    Ive missed voting many times and always got out of the fine.
    Acceptable reasons for not voting - out of state, unexpectedly working on voting day (which is always a Saturday), illness.
    There are ways to vote if you cant vote on the day, you can do a postal vote (apply, they mail you the stuff, mail it back) or pre-poll where you go to a major voting centre in the week before the election.
    So working on the day is not an excuse if you knew in advance you were going to be working since you should use one of the other options.
    Ive ended up working (on the election tv coverage) and should have had the day off but issues meant I was working. Also been travelling and missed voting. One I was away and just didnt realise it was a council election. Technically you need to be "out of state" but I was in the state, but fixed that by doing an hours drive to go out of state for 5 mins! Just so I could be honest when I used the "out of state" excuse.
    Council elections are also compulsory but are often a lot less advertised so they are much easier to miss! (Council would be US city or county) They do get a lower turnout.

The other useful thing we have is a single body responsible for the election - each state has its own electoral commission that run state and council elections. Then there is a federal electoral commission that runs the federal election. It means the same voting method is used by everyone in the election. The basic method hasnt changed in many years - pencil on paper! No hanging chads.

Lastly - we have "instant runoff' voting, not "first past the post". While it seems complicated, its a much better system that gets a winner that most people want. It means votes for a 3rd party are not a waste. Billi could have "protest voted" giving his first preference to someone, but then still had the chance to say "but Id prefer Hilary over Trump" and his vote would have ended up with Hilary after his top pick was eliminated.

I think its good its compulsory, its a civil service like taxes and jury duty - something you have to do.

Not a fan of compulsory jury duty, but perhaps making voting compulsory is a good idea... govt could raise a lot of money in a nation with such low turnout!

Runoff voting also seems like a good idea... we seriously need to free ourselves from our 2 major parties... we need to be able to ‘popularly’ elect our leaders!