Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecliptic Ecsperience

Junior Potato

Ecliptic Ecsperience

Annoying thread title ahoy! Hopefully this'll set off some OCD people

Anyhoo, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the continental USA is getting a good eclipse next Monday. Right through the guts.

I want to know who's making a special effort to see this, any out-of-towners who might be going for a drive a few hours away to place themselves right under the path. I also want to know who's lucky enough to live close-by anyway, and what you're doing to watch it. Share your photos and stuff.

But I don't mean share your photos of the eclipse. You're definitely better off watching the eclipse like a normal person, but taking photos of things that are going on before and after - they'll be infinitely more interesting and the professionals will have lots of great eclipse imagery anyway.

I flew to Cairns in 2012 to watch an eclipse, but it was a complete flop. It was slightly overcast on the morning it rose (which was super early in the morning) but then the clouds cleared about half an hour later, such a bummer. But we did catch a 1 second glimpse of the sun and moon in totality, and the reaction of the thousands of people standing on the Cairns foreshore was quite cool. And it's so eerie when the sky goes dark not long after sunrise.

Trust me when I say this: other than the first time you got into Sally's knickers at the school dance, watching an eclipse will be the best two minutes of your life.

I'm just a few miles south of the totality so I'll check it out. I'm not sure where exactly he's living now, but Tyler's house might be right in the path.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I was hoping my insurance check would be in so I could buy my bike and make plans to be in Oregon for an early morning eclipse. Looks like that's not happening.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    thought you had epilepsy for a moment there

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    I'm just a few miles south of the totality so I'll check it out. I'm not sure where exactly he's living now, but Tyler's house might be right in the path.
    I'm in the direct path. Downside is I will be working, in the Operating room, with no view of the outside world.

Oh yeah... forgot it was at noon. Gonna have to check my schedule. I might be down in Lawrence.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Nothing exciting will happen from our vantage point. Maybe 1/3 of the sun will be obstructed.

I wanted to, but prices went through the roof, so I'll see if I can check out the partial in DC

I'll be in school in St. Paul, nowhere near totality. They're having a party for it anyway because my tuition money isn't wasted thoroughly enough on their inept staff.

Columbia, SC is going to be one of the best places to view the eclipse, as long as the weather is clear. It will be in totality for about 2.5 minutes. I would have invited people for a GTXF eclipse viewing party, but: 1.) We don't get home from Europe until Sunday. 2.) Lori is having minor surgery on Tuesday. Alas, normal weather in the city at that time of year is mid-afternoon thunderstorms. Chances are good that clouds will be obscuring the view anyway.