Page 2133 of 2473 FirstFirst ... 1133163320332083212321312132213321342135214321832233 ... LastLast
Results 21,321 to 21,330 of 24728

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    It is regrettable that the article's analysis is within a clickbaity "hook" which is likely to stoke emotions and cause outrage, and which is repeated several times throughout.
    They do that all the time to humanise them to the public. He had a toothache. Boo fucking hoo. He shot killed 10 people.

If it's a black man killed by the cops and he once took a picture with gang members, or flashing a sign, wearing gang colors (never understood why my mum was against me buying blue or red stuff until years later!) or has a mug shot, that's the picture they show the public. To dehumanise them.

"The public is fickle my lord." The sister- in Gladiator.

Administrator
    I feel I should make clear that Ben Collins is a longtime extremism and disinformation researcher and journalist. It was not intended to evoke sympathy. It was meant to show how disinformation exploits actual problems and causes some people blame the powerless for those problems. That these guys, including the shooter, use it to egg each other on and recruit others. It's intended to show that unfettered "free speech" on social media platforms exploits people and causes real violence and death. He specifically refers to him only as "the Buffalo shooter" in an effort to *not* humanize him.

I'm sorry your takeaway was that it was clickbaity. I've been following this guy for years, so maybe I come at it from another angle, but I 100% guarantee you that was not the original intention. It may also be that this was one of many threads since the attack, with more context that may have been clearer.

Also, it was an unrolled Twitter thread, so it probably didn't read as well as an actual article. Apologies if it came across as attempting to humanize that guy. I think I've made it pretty clear that I don't consider him worth humanizing and that I think attempts to explain away his actions are not something I'm okay with.

Suffice it to say, Billi's takeaway which I unfortunately saw due to a non-spoilered quote is pretty much the opposite of my feeling here, and pretty sure not Ben's either. At any rate, apologies. Definitely didn't mean to share something that appeared to be humanizing this inhumane garbage piece of shit.

Have you guys ever wonder why is it SO bad to humanize a terrorist, yet we complain that terrorists dehumanize us?

We all rationally know that it’s wrong to dehumanize humans. But if somebody done or say something you disagree with, then it’s okay to reduce a person down to just a stinky asshole?

Reality is we’re all human and we all have assholes. I really think the 1st rule of reverse polarization club ought to be never dehumanize a human being. Once we violate this rule, we become ‘terrorists’ to them! And we’ll just be terrorizing each other endlessly. War on terror can never be won!

The father out there getting his son a birthday cake… and the hero who went to mom’s church that day to thank the church for taking care of his dads funeral did nothing wrong. None deserve to die and nothing can justify those crimes, but the perpetrators are still human beings though.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 20th, 2022 at 08:40 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    It is regrettable that the article's analysis is within a clickbaity "hook" which is likely to stoke emotions and cause outrage, and which is repeated several times throughout.
    That's because it's not an article, it's a twitter thread that Servo patched together.

It is written in twitter's common syntax.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    That's because it's not an article, it's a twitter thread that Servo patched together.

It is written in twitter's common syntax.
    I've seen it on twitter. That formatting makes it even worse in terms of being clickbaity and outrage-inducing, as the first post ends with "toothache". It then comes across as being some flippant "story" about a guy with a toothache.

There is also an issue with that sort of framing when, traditionally, "stories" are also told to honour and remember the victims.

Given what Tom has said about the author, i'm not sure if the above was his intent. But from my perspective, it doesn't look good.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; May 20th, 2022 at 11:06 PM.

Administrator
    That was what I did, and while I thought about patching it together into a more parenthetical layout, I didn't want to take artistic license there. In hindsight, maybe not the best decision.

BTW I'm also not blaming or criticising Swervo (or indeed anyone here).

Administrator
    Well, shit, I'm sorry you feel that way, YW. I saw it as a story of someone who was already pre-disposed to radicalization using 4chan's /pol/ board to further radicalize and attempt to radicalize others, and partially using his struggles with insurance to further radicalize rather than actually blame it on the state of US healthcare. That he was all too willing to blame others rather than the actual problem.

I can definitely see how you'd take it that way rereading it, I hope you understand how I saw it and how I meant it to come across.

EDIT: Saw your post at the same time as mine and I figure you do. It'll definitely give me another angle to view posts like this - I'm a big fan of Ben Collins, but I can see how this attempts to excuse what he did.

EDIT 2: Especially seeing your edit YW, I think given context this would not have been your and neanderthal's takeaways, but with the lack of context I can absolutely see how this would be your takeaways. I will try to do better about keeping that in mind.

I can see that there is some interesting analysis within, but it's the apparent framing and tone that is regrettable. Again, not criticising you as obviously I assume you had good intentions, and I accept what you've previously mentioned about his background. In fact, that's one reason I have approached it from different angles.

This is probably not a good example, but imagine someone writing an article on Sept 13, 2001 starting with "I want to tell a quick story. The man who planned Sept 9 had a [minor ailment which is somehow linked to his extreme radicalisation]."
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; May 20th, 2022 at 11:37 PM.

Junior Potato
    In happier news, the RWNJ government of Australia is goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone

Fucken YEETED out the door.

We will be governed by a proper left-wing government for the next three years, and hopefully for many years more.

Here's to the progressive movement!

Updates here for those who might like to follow along: https://www.abc.net.au/news/election...t=az&state=all