Page 1313 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 3138131213126313031311131213131314131513231363141318132313 ... LastLast
Results 13,121 to 13,130 of 24806

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is why Warren was smart not to do that. There is no winning in that situation. Bernie did as well as he could, but it is a 100% losing proposition doing one of those.
    Her explanation was as fourth-wall breaking as you could have in modern politics. It was refreshing. I don't know how electable she is, but she sure has policy options.

I've been reading up on the democratic consensus, and it seems to be something that for could work you yanks. The UK was in an odd position back then, the world stage was in turmoil over the surge of the USSR as a military world power and on the other hand you had the economic unification of Europe and there was also the transition from Empire to Commonwealth; so Britain was kind of on its own. What I see right now is the surge of China as an technological world power, the economic unification of the global south and a transition away from neoliberalism. It'd be wise to agree to 3 or 4 items and build a generational roadmap (If it were up to me, those would be: world leadership in STEM, guaranteed basket of public services with emphasis on healthcare, and a consensual version of the Green New Deal), so that partisanship does not weaken the US's role in the world stage because we are at a transition point. All the congressional stonewalling during the Obama years and the scandalous Trump years are a big distraction.
    acket.

I do like warren, I also agree with her reasoning. However, do you really believe she can reach any consensus with the republican leadership? Political atmosphere is so bad now, people in the left don’t even want to make America great anymore... thanks to Trump.

She also already has plans and policies in place. Why does she need consensus from the other side? Consensus will probably only ruin her plans, right?

I think she’s a too much of a fighter, dems who want to kick some conservative asses should like her. My worry is that even if she succeeds in kicking trumps ass, 4~8 yrs later, things most likely will bounce back harder...

Things could bounce back this horribly after mild manner Obama, I can’t imagine how the country will turn after Warren.

We need healers in order to build consensus, not fighters.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    no, we don't need GOP support AT ALL. We need democratic majority in congress and in the white house. The GOP won't play ball either way, and they've capitulated to the most racist, right wing policies.

Thru gerrymandering and whatever other BS political tactics, GOP has always managed to win more seats and even the presidency with minority amount of voters. In order to ensure longterm political success, dems have to capture more of those conservative voters who are NOT deplorables.

You can't capture those votes by continual ideological fights. Newton's 3rd law, action reaction, is applicable politically as well. Swinging too much toward which ever direction, eventually the pendulum will swing back. This kind of extreme swinging needs to be stopped or eventually our society will destroy itself.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 21st, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    the problem with that rationale is that "extreme left" here is considered centric in most places. The "radical" policies the democrats, even the progressives are offering are NORMAL in most advanced societies.

The GOP and the media have made the right seem centrist and actual centrist seem "extreme left" to a lot of people.

Every nation has a different 'norm'. Where is the US 'norm'? That's up to us to collectively find out, not to predetermine that based on what Europeans or Australians are doing. We are not any other advanced nations, we have our own country! We are where we are. We can't be emulating other countries while ignoring nearly half of our own citizens as if they all should be deported to hell or just be ignored. Whenever you do that, it gives somebody like Trump a chance to rise in power. We absolutely have to work together. I don't agree with the older Hillary most of the time, but I do agree with her campaign slogan. We'll definitely be stronger together. Too bad I didn't sense her belief in her own slogan, otherwise, without that 'deplorable' mishap, I think she could've won.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 21st, 2019 at 11:35 AM.

The polls (and betting agencies) got their predictions for the Oz election wrong. Shades of Trump!
    So the Labor (left) party were expected to win but the current Liberal/National (right) govt retained power and seems today they fell over the line for having a majority on their own.

And yes Zali got up against the former PM Abbott. As IMOA said - even the supporters of his party didnt want him. Good riddance.

So we now go back to status quo for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    The polls (and betting agencies) got their predictions for the Oz election wrong. Shades of Trump!
    So the Labor (left) party were expected to win but the current Liberal/National (right) govt retained power and seems today they fell over the line for having a majority on their own.

And yes Zali got up against the former PM Abbott. As IMOA said - even the supporters of his party didnt want him. Good riddance.

Kevin 2020 has a nice ring to it don't you think?
    Someone will try overthrow Morrison in the next 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post

It’s interesting pollsters kept on getting things wrong all over the world...

I can’t believe it’s the statisticians who kept on getting their maths wrong, people being surveyed must’ve told lies. People at the right are probably more politically correct than they’re willing to admit...

One basic assumption is a "random sample", but its not random, there are factors such as who is going to answer your call or agree to participate.
    How did you contact them? When? That can all affect the demographics.