Page 2008 of 2008 FirstFirst ... 10081508190819581998200620072008
Results 20,071 to 20,074 of 20074

Thread: Politics

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I've heard Iceland is pretty good?
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    it's really weird for me for prime ministers of other countries to be like "I think I'm going to call for an election this month" and just do it. The U.S. has a LOT of weird and stupid politics policies but this seems more odd to me
    Where I live, elections happen:

- At federal level they occur at a maximum of every three years, but the incumbent prime minister can call it sooner depending on how they feel their chances might go

- At state level it depends on the laws of the state, but they happen every four years in my state of Queensland - a law which changed after a referendum in 2016 with the first fixed term in effect now after the 2020 election in October

- At local council level they have fixed terms across the state where EVERY local government election happens every four years on the same day in March

Federal senate terms are six years (or every 2nd election) with half the senators being voted in on one election, and the other half being voted in on the next election. Recently there was a 'double dissolution' election where both chambers (upper and lower house) were fully dissolved and all members had to stand again. It's a gambit played where the government of the day seeks to achieve a majority in both houses in order to pass laws that have been stopped at senate level.

Ahem.

Mo and em, 2016: guys, be reasonable. The Supreme Court is at stake here.

Billi and em, 2016: dude are you retarded, HER FUCKING EMAILS ...

Here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I've heard Iceland is pretty good?
    Icelanders may be happy folks, but they still do suffer from high rate of depression as well. Could be the long winter nites? Or perhaps something else?

Also a quick wiki of their government: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Iceland
    "After the 2008 financial crisis, there has been an increasing fractionalization of the Icelandic party system. The increase in the number of parties has made it harder for coalition governments to form.[5] What's more, since the initial resignation of the government in January 2009 after the banking collapse, revelations of subsequent political scandals have resulted in the government collapsing in 2016, following the Panama Papers, and again in 2017, following revelations of impropriety within the ranks of the political class; both instances culminated in anti-government protests being staged.[6] Organized protests held to highlight and challenge political corruption since 2008 have therefore come to stress the necessity for the new Icelandic constitution that was co-drafted by the 2009 leftist government and select members of the public to be enshrined into law."

Seems like they have a pretty messed up government as well. I suspect Icelanders probably are very positive optimistic people by nature, which helps raise their happiness index when compared to other nations... but I really think politicians of every nation sucks. If you don't have a good enough constitution in place, they will all drive the nation to the ground eventually.

To have somebody like Trump in charge and our nation is still left standing... gotta give some credit to our founding fathers. Still, our laws are constantly being mutilated as pointed out by Neanderthal... so for sure USA won't last forever.

Neanderthal, I really think the moral of the story is to have better candidates... rather then just be pragmatic and accept somebody who's less evil as long as the opposition party doesn't win...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; Today at 07:21 AM.