Page 1881 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 8811381178118311871187918801881188218831891193119812381 ... LastLast
Results 18,801 to 18,810 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I think iron ore is the only thing they havent hit!
    Definitely hit coal (both power and steel making) and agriculture (barley - who knew it was such a big export)
    We should have brought back "naughty kids get a lump of coal for xmas" and Im sure we would have balanced it out!
    https://www.9news.com.au/national/tr...4-3894a1c2bb00

China - which imports 60 per cent of its iron ore from Australia - is looking at sourcing supplies of the steel-making material from other markets.
    Iron ore is Australia's largest global export and China -the world's biggest steel producer - is our biggest trading partner.
    China aims to build one or two major overseas iron ore mines by 2025 under a five-year government plan, Reuters reports.
    Blah blah blah etc...

It does say that China was moving ahead with this plan before our government initiated trade tensions last year, but still, that's a big hole in our economy. There's no easy way to reverse course and fix the problem thanks to our idiot in charge.

Junior Potato
    It's OK. It will all be over soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n5zfERwwm-5ZE4

HAY GUYZ did you know that

A new survey finds that a third of Americans embrace a nuclear strike that would kill a million people.

Imagine that North Korea starts, once again, testing long-range missiles that could reach the United States. Should we drop a nuclear weapon on them, killing a million innocent civilians?

You might expect most people would answer that question with a firm, resounding no. Such an action would be morally despicable, of course. It would lead to many, many deaths. Security experts say it would do very little to advance US interests, and it’d destabilize the whole world, increasing the chance of other nuclear exchanges, with catastrophic consequences.

But it turns out these reasons wouldn’t faze a good number of Americans. A survey by YouGov and the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, published Monday, finds that a third of Americans would be in favor of a nuclear strike even if it killed a million people.
    Link to survey within article at https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...ivilian-deaths

This should be nothing new. People have wanted the US to nuke the entire middle east for decades now, which would kill way more than just a million people.

Horrific as that is, it’s good to know. Our wars have had unimaginable humanitarian costs. Understanding what Americans care about, what they’re confused about, and what influences their enthusiasm for war is important if we’re ever going to stop our atrocities overseas.
    I believe the article has a misunderstanding of why America engaged in stupid wars. Yes, there are definitely a lot of stupid americans, but I'm pretty sure every single time, it's the stupid/greedy/evil politicians that started the wars. Even during WWII, American people were not willing to fight the Nazis until the very last minute... and it was perhaps the end of WWII that allowed Americans to favor atomic/nuclear wars, because it helps end wars faster with minimal american casualties.

Anyway, point is, American people are not the ones starting wars. I'm more concerned with the 'establishment' starting BS wars for their own gains. And just because they don't start nuclear wars, doesn't make them very nice people.

Administrator
    The fact that the term "glass parking lot" is in our lexicon pretty much rendered that survey unnecessary.

It might be the politicians who start the wars, but decades of propaganda/rhetoric has meant that many citizens think that military might is the way to solve problems.

Also, YW, you could survey yourself and all chinese people, see how many % of them are willing to glass Taiwan if they're unwilling to submit to the CCP.

I'm willing to bet at least equal number of %age of chinese people are willing to glass Taiwan or even HK if they dare escape this "abusive relationship". How China deal with domestic violence is our own business, everyone else should just back off... otherwise, we'll stop buying shit from you guys and you'll be very very poor. You guys don't want to be poor, right? So that's right Maverick, take that stupid taiwanese flag off of your flight jacket. NBA also should bend their knees to the mighty CCP...

Seriously YW, after what's happen in HK, should Taiwan really happily return "home" in such an abusive relationship? Are you really happy for HK under CCP rule?

My main beef is that CCP does not equal China.

I want China to be better, but I don't think I'll ever submit to CCP.

Both CCP and the US govt are not trustworthy. At least I'm doing whatever I can to reign in the US govt under control with my votes. I hope you won't allow CCP to get away with whatever they want.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 18th, 2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The fact that the term "glass parking lot" is in our lexicon pretty much rendered that survey unnecessary.
    Which
    A) is terrible
    B) reflects on the US foreign policy which is another form of imperialism, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    It might be the politicians who start the wars, but decades of propaganda/rhetoric has meant that many citizens think that military might is the way to solve problems.
    This. Many many in the US think the worlds resources belong to the US. We, here on this board don't, but a metric fuckton* of people not on our little corner of the internet do.

*I think the only measurement greater than metric fuckton is a holy fuckton. But that's open to debate.

Junior Potato
    There are also imperial fucktons, which are equal to 2023.978 fuckpounds, or 1.223 metric fucktons. Easy.