Page 822 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 32272277281282082182282382483287292213221822 ... LastLast
Results 8,211 to 8,220 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I can tell you that for 8 year old atheist me, it sure didn't feel like I wasn't being forced to recite "under god" in the pledge of allegiance every morning, considering I was told I'd go to detention every day until I did start saying it.
    That is clearly religious and political persecution. You should've asked your parents... or if you had christian parents, then you probably just need to hire an atheistic lawyer to take it up all the way to supreme court!

Seriously, the law is on your side.

And semi-seriously, do you really wish to seek political and religious asylum in another nation because of such persecutions?

How did people figure out you aren't saying under God? You can also easily avoided persecution by murmuring something else other than God if that is so important to you... or if it's really that important to you, just got to detention everyday for that. That's certain what I'd do if I feel like they're forcing me to say one nation under Satan! I'd gladly sit at detention everyday... but most importantly, I think I'd fight this using our nation's constitution when I'm an adult.

I don't think this is happening today? I guess I'll find out when my daughter goes to school.

Citation needed, please. I sure don't remember this. I don't remember them claiming that Junipero Serra was agnostic.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    CA student will soon learn MORE LGBT history in schools. Not that I have anything against learning about LGBT struggles over the years, but imagine Christians asking for MORE Christian history in school? Imagine the outrage.

Also, we may learn that Dr. King was a Christian preacher, but surely the history books will never add anymore christian influences than that. As if God can only influence Americans to ruin lives... such as prevent same sex marriages and slavery or manifest destiny..., but God can't really influence folks to fight for justice. God had nothing to do with the civil rights movements. Anything bad we can blame the Christians and their bogus God, anything good, we down play the significance of their faith.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 13th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
    CA student will soon learn MORE LGBT history in schools. Not that I have anything against learning about LGBT struggles over the years, but imagine Christians asking for MORE Christian history in school? Imagine the outrage.
    Huh, so learning more about LGBT history, which traditionally hasn't been covered much at all in schools, is pretending Christianity doesn't exist?

Keith put it better than I would:

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm
    These are the kinds of compromises that need to be made, taking the most popular things, historically and percentages-wise now, and taking them off their pedestals so that they are on even footing with all others. This is seen by those on the pedestals as punishing them, removing their freedoms, when in fact it is merely giving them the same opportunity afforded to everyone else.
    It reminds me of someone's opinion I was reading not too long ago, that the only people discriminated against now are straight white males. It's hard to argue that when, for instance, all but one president of this country was a straight white male, and the other one was still a straight male.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    If you're a child in school, they can and do tell you what to do and say. The punishment for not doing it is up to the teacher/school. Even if there is no punishment, the other children will notice and point out when one person isn't following instructions, either to the teacher or in the social groups. You're setting up children in minority religions to be ostracized.
    Hey, when you don't conform to the herd, you'll get ostracized. You don't need religion for that... and you don't need to be a kid for that. This forum is full of adults and Billi is not a kid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying victim here. It is just the way it is. I fully understand. No hard feelings from me.

Yes, that's exactly what should or at least could happen, except there's not necessarily a need to adopt any of them. We're taught about multiple types of artistic movements and musical movements, why not be taught multiple types of religious movements? It's not about saying that any of them are right or wrong, just that they existed as part of the tapestry of human history.
    Nothing against that, but it probably should be more of a college level course... rather than cramming our kids with all kinds of FSM's...

Either forbid them all or allow them all. Pretty simple IMO.
    Yes, very simple for a computer, either 0 or 1. Or as Swervo always tend to think of me as either black or white and nothing in between.
    Unfortunately real world is rarely this simple.

This has been said by those in the ruling/majority class for likely the history of human society.
    Yeah, of course, unless you think minority rule is better? Actually we have that now too. Trump won 48% of the votes and he still get to rule. Yipee!
    Either way, the losing side just need to learn to chill and try to make the best of it.

It does not. The influences of all people from all categories should be included, positive and negative. Most likely it will not be done perfectly at first, people will overcorrect as they aim for the proper balance, but the frequency and amplitude of the sine wave will continue to shrink until we are nearly there. We shouldn't just give up trying because we aren't there yet.
    I agree. I can understand things won't be perfect at first. I'm not going to protest like some Christians do about our textbooks to have MORE LGBT history, but I do hate the reality that most Californians hate Jesus. Still, I'm still chill.

If Jesus is indeed the absolutely Truth that he claims he is, he doesn't need me to defend him. No matter how people crucify him, he will remain what he is... supposedly forever and ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Huh, so learning more about LGBT history, which traditionally hasn't been covered much at all in schools, is pretending Christianity doesn't exist?
    Anyway, what have you learned about Christianity in public schools? Remember anything positive? I've only started attending Jr high when I 1st came to the US and that's when I was still barely speaking english... so don't remember much. Even in high school, I don't recall learning anything positive about Christianity... mostly just the negative stuffs.

Okay, my bad, I shouldn't have said 'explain to me', but you definitely need to explain to yourself why must one become an ardent pro-whatever and be so sure about the opposition is just plain wrong.

The abortion issue cannot be simplified by these political ideologies.
    I don't need to explain anything to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    I don't need to explain anything to anyone.
    Ok.

But if you wish to troll those who blocked me in the future, please generate your own trolling content.

Political discussions are hard enough as it is, don't need anymore trolls.

Administrator
    Anyway, what have you learned about Christianity in public schools? Remember anything positive? I've only started attending Jr high when I 1st came to the US and that's when I was still barely speaking english... so don't remember much. Even in high school, I don't recall learning anything positive about Christianity... mostly just the negative stuffs.
    I didn't learn much about Christianity early on in public schools. I also didn't learn much about Islam, or Judaism, or Buddhism, or Shinto, or... I didn't learn anything particularly negative either. Given the overall religious makeup of my school, though, I don't think a lack of in-school indoctrination hurt the cause of Christianity very much.

I did read a good portion of the bible for AP Lit in high school. I remember my Spanish teacher was pretty religious too, as was my drama teacher.

Ok.

But if you wish to troll those who blocked me in the future, please generate your own trolling content.

Political discussions are hard enough as it is, don't need anymore trolls.
    I don't have to do anything you say.

What was I saying about trolls?