Page 1736 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 7361236163616861726173417351736173717381746178618362236 ... LastLast
Results 17,351 to 17,360 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    What do you mean? I didn't say anything even remotely threatening to the esteemed Monarch of the United States. Just laughed at the pathetic attempt on his life.
    I think he's confusing Trump with his own fierce leader Xi. Anti-CCP folks have mocked Xi as Winnie the Pooh... and Trump is literally orange and now shaped like Pooh too! Plus, nowadays, ICE could detain you and forcibly remove your uterus or ovaries... so extra precaution is probably a good idea.

Plus, why would you want to risk catching Covid19? Just stay away, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I told y'all the court was on the line on 2016.

And now the Republicans fucksticks have fucksticked. Mitch had the votes he needs to take through another justice.

I don't trust a single Republican.

And this further comments the idea that we should go scorched earth if we win the trifecta.
    Chill out dude.

I have plenty of I told you so too.

We need to focus on the future more!

If we didn't change the way we nominate justices in the past, things probably would've worked out better with 8 justices.

There are plenty of fuck ups to go around.

You scorch somebody when you can now, rest assure somebody will scorch you back when they can. That's not the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Spoiler:
    Chill out dude.

I have plenty of I told you so too.

We need to focus on the future more!

If we didn't change the way we nominate justices in the past, things probably would've worked out better with 8 justices.

There are plenty of fuck ups to go around.

You scorch somebody when you can now, rest assure somebody will scorch you back when they can. That's not the way.
    Maybe you should have focused on the future in 2016. Fuck sticks like YOU are the entire reason why we are here where we are now.

Maybe you should have focused on the future in 2016. Fuck sticks like YOU are the entire reason why we are here where we are now.
    I can admit that I'm partially the reason. For sure I'm not the reason for the rise of Trump. Trump did not rise for no reason. DNC's answer to Trump was also not very good. DNC nominated the most established candidate into a world when anti-establishment sentiments were peaking and suppressed their own anti-establishment candidate every step of the way... If she was really so good, why didn't she run again? Why did Bernie the loser ran again and was leading for a while until a master stroke move by Obama...

At least this time Biden is a bit better than Hillary. Not that he's less 'established', but I think at least he's more personable? Plus, Trump is now a known quantity. No need to give him anymore benefit of the doubt for those moderate voters.

Lastly, given that supreme court justices are lifetime appointments, we should've never lowered the bar. Perhaps we should consider lowering the bar if we only have one senile justice left... considering there were 8 of them, what's the big deal if we couldn't nominate anybody?

Whenever we make a 'political' move, chances are things will backfire. Because if you think this new thing is good for you now... tide just might swing to make it good for 'them' too! It's better to make changes that are better for the entire nation regardless who's in charge. Proper fix should be to try to win more senate seats... or nominate left leaning judges that some conservatives are okay with. Not lowering the bar.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 22nd, 2020 at 09:52 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Make PR and DC states.
    Does the clear majority of Boricuas want that? That always strike me as a colonial position, you know, to rule for others.
    acket.

Please read this twitter thread by UC-Merced assistant professor Aditya Dasgupta. A mis-coding of a time variable by the OAS scientists working the data from Bolivia's 2019 election led to the "sharp discontinuity" that was used to accuse Evo Morales's MAS formula of committing voter fraud. There was none of that, but it took more than a year to do the replications that proved the accusations were based on wrong assumptions.

Professor Dasgupta argues that with a polarized election coming up, data scientists have got to be super transparent with their methods.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Does the clear majority of Boricuas want that? That always strike me as a colonial position, you know, to rule for others.
    That's a good question- My friends of that persuasion are all for statehood, but then they're also up here attending/having attended school, primarily in the sciences - so probably not a representative sample.
    I honestly don't know what polling has been like over the past several years, but it has historically swung back and forth quite a bit. I'd assume that either statehood or independence would be preferable to the middleground position they're in now.
    -Formerly Stabulator

They voted on it a few years back.

They voted on it a few years back.
    97% voted for statehood in 2017. In the midst of a boycott of the referendum that saw close to 80% abstention.

Most polls put the "for" vote swinging between 45 to 55. That does not sound like "clear majority" to me.
    acket.