Page 1752 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 7521252165217021742175017511752175317541762180218522252 ... LastLast
Results 17,511 to 17,520 of 24779

Thread: Politics

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    Yeah, I'm a habitual 3rd party voter in the actual national elections in order to support the party I'm ideologically most closely aligned with (I primary democratic in attempts to push the party with an actual chance more towards my line of thought), but the republican option in 2016 and 2020 was too clearly a more deadly threat than usual to allow me to stand on ideological grounds and retain my morals. In 2016, I thought it was important to deal trump and his disgusting fascist supporters a crushing defeat to demonstrate that we as a species had moved past that shit - turns out we hadn't.
    And now things are worse. At this point I'm almost resigned to seeing the unpleasantness of the revolution with blood in the gutters and all that.
    I'm willing to see what happens this cycle.

Trump got ~60 million votes last time, and let's face it, a lot of voters don't pay close attention to details, only that they're voting for the GOP candidate. The bigger issue is that a majority of people who were eligible or of age to vote...haven't. I think that is changing this year. I also think a LOT of Trump voters who wanted to "shake up the system" realized their mistake.

The country's demographics are constantly changing and it's mostly away from old white men, that's part of what those people are afraid of. Biden is an old white centrist candidate...he will appeal to a broad range of people even if he's boring

I agree with Swervo and Josh's views on the debate, as well as with #mutethemike

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    So minimum wage, standard weekly hours, sick leave, vacation leave - these should all be up to the business to decide?

The issue is more that we set a bunch of minimums that we as society says an employer should obey. But then casual/contractor is exempt. Which if often fine when its people working smaller number of hours, part time etc. But when people start having this as a fulltime job it really is just a loophole for employers to not meet the min standards.
    We had a lot of issues with this in Australia and the courts basically came out with the concept that the person is fulltime or close and long term then they must be treated as an employee and hence get the same conditions. You cant just wave your obligations away with "oh not employee, contractor".
    As for costs, these costs are covered by businesses for employees. Maybe if the business cant cover the costs they shouldnt be in business.
    And I think its good for the whole of society - unstable workforce is being shown as just that - unstable and also damaging
    DN, companies can up their benefits in order to attract the talents they want. For the less talented work, or for seasonal work, should we really force businesses to hire direct? Not all businesses are equal, not all workers are equal. Not all work/jobs are equal.

Our company has unionized workers, non-union workers and also contractors. Why not let employer and employee figure out what’s best for themselves?

Even direct employees making way above min wage, we could still get shafted. Then what? Have the government force the companies to not lay me off?

Anyway, I just don’t believe our current approach works very well. It’s easy to just tell employers to pay living wages, give them healthcare, but the government itself has done very little for the people. All these pressures most likely also incentivized the companies to relocated to cheaper nations in order to cut cost...

Anyway I don’t know that’s the right solution, but I just thought it’s kinda ridiculous to create laws to force the rich companies to play robin hood to help the poor. Governments might as well play the robin hood role directly! And not saying governments should rob the rich, but at least make sure they pay their fair share.

Poor people really shouldn’t even exist in the US. I get the feeling that the republicans blame democrats and democrats blame the republicans and government blames these rich greedy businesses and the businesses blames the ineffective government, but they are all in bed with each other, not really doing much to help those who truly need help.

Push for min wage sounds good, but surely some will end up being let go when it’s raised to a level too high for some businesses... What then?

Some sort of UBI is needed to help provide true stability. Government should also be the one to provide paid quarantine leave. Don’t expect every business to be able to pay for this, but hopefully the mega rich companies will help end up paying for it with their taxes... rather than allowing them to hide their wealth offshore somewhere...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 30th, 2020 at 09:42 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway I don’t know that’s the right solution, but I just thought it’s kinda ridiculous to create laws to force the rich companies to play robin hood to help the poor. Governments might as well play the robin hood role directly! And not saying governments should rob the rich, but at least make sure they pay their fair share.
    which they won't do because leverage. that's why anti-capture measures (like overturning citizens united and campaign reform) are needed through and through.

why do to you think candidates like sanders get smeared with shit like "Bernie bros" all. the. time.?

those who profit from representative systems are afraid they'll lose their hold on things. they think a "minor" suffering for the masses is preferable than a major change to their way of life. that's what politics has been for the last 70 years.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; October 1st, 2020 at 02:19 AM.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    The Sheriff of Nottingham was a representative of a corrupt government.

Robin Hood (the hero) was an anarchist and an antifascist.

Do you really want someone like Robin Hood playing the role model for today's society?

Americans Increasingly Believe Violence is Justified if the Other Side Wins

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...iolence-424157

Incredible achievement!!!!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    The sheer amount of uncertainty between now and January 20th is going to really push people's sanity

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    The sheer amount of uncertainty between now and January 20th may break the U.S. political system
    Fixxor'd.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The Sheriff of Nottingham was a representative of a corrupt government.

Robin Hood (the hero) was an anarchist and an antifascist.

Do you really want someone like Robin Hood playing the role model for today's society?
    Jesus is kinda like Robin Hood!

It’s time to find out if America is truly a Christian nation or not.

Our current path is heading off a cliff if we don’t make some sort of change... I believe we absolutely need somebody like Bernie or Andrew Yang. But I suppose we need to take baby steps with Biden first.