Page 1134 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 1346341034108411241132113311341135113611441184123416342134 ... LastLast
Results 11,331 to 11,340 of 24770

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Ranked voting (preferential aka instant runoff) is designed for that sort of situation.
    It means you could have 2 or more people from the same party against similar from another party, plus more parties or independents.
    It doesn’t suffer from “vote splitting”, since you can vote effectively for all the members of the party you like, your vote can switch between them to the one that ends up the most popular.

It also means you don’t need to run multi-stage elections, it’s all done in one go.
    Yeah, I kinda wish they could've done this on the national level. Could answer the question of whether if our nation is truly polarized beyond saving and end up with Trump and Hillary anyway... or would somebody like Bernie Sanders could conceivably end up 2nd or perhaps even winning this combined primary.

It’s still hard for a 3rd party in a two party system.
    Here we use prefential voting, but parties can only run a single candidate. Occasionally someone splits a major party and goes independent. They can and do win.
    But it could also work if you allowed parties to run multiple candidates (although for practicality you probably still want a limit, just more than one)
    It encourages people to vote for that third person if that’s what they want, but without it feeling like a wasted vote. As they can put in a backup preference.
    It’s not perfect (there is no perfect system, been shown mathematically!). It can be confusing for voters if they are not used to it. And in extreme cases you can get the situation where the best result for candidate A is actually a vote for candidate B (otherwise candidate C might win). Yes I’m a psephologist - someone who studies elections.

Just a quick interlude...our Ontario elections are tomorrow and I’ve decided to vote for the outcast and severe underdog: the Green Party. Only because the candidate is kind of cute. Yes, that’s what it’s come down to. That’s how bad the other candidates are.

BTW, she doesn’t even live in the area she’s representing, which makes it even more fucked up.

As you were...

Anything would be better than Doug Lets-Get-Drunk-And-High Ford.

Trump is a teetotaler. Just sayin'.

So the Republicans just defunded CHIP today.

There was a hue and cry a few days ago when it was announced that Medicare and Social Security would both be bankrupt by [insert some date.] Remember when they passed their "tax cut" and I warned you they were after Social Security and Medicare?

You've been contributing to those in every paycheck from your employer since you started working. Republicans are taking steps to make sure both of those are insolvent.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The best caption to the G7 photo doing the rounds on twitter I've seen is this one:

Amgela Merkel: Tell you what, sir, from now on, you'll be Homer Thompson at Terror Lake. Let's just practice a bit, hmm? When I say "hello, Mr. Thompson", you'll say "hi".
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

How come the table shrunk so much?

I have no idea what either of those captions means.

I see a petulant child in a store refusing to move because he can't get a toy, while his mother yells at him, and other shoppers look on, just wanting it to end, so they can buy their items and leave.