Page 2005 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 1005150519051955199520032004200520062007201520552105 ... LastLast
Results 20,041 to 20,050 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    Yep, exactly why we need to change the way we do recall elections here. Either have the lt. gov take over if the recall succeeds (just like if the governor had resigned/died/whatever), or have it be two separate elections, one to decide the recall and, if that succeeds, another one after it to choose a replacement.

I'm actually surprised that Elder did as well as he did, I expected a stronger showing from Faulconer.

I read that few months ago recall was tight and then Elder changed the game.

Administrator
    It went back and forth. When the recall was first announced, it was a given that it'd get demolished. Then Elder showed up and fired up the Trump MAGAt base, and suddenly it looked like there was a chance, especially given that turnout was expected to be very low and it was mostly the MAGAts that were fired up and would actually vote.

Problem is, he fired up the democratic base as well, because Elder taking over, even for a year, would potentially have been catastrophic. I think most of us don't love Newsom (I think he's okay, but for a career politician he does some truly stupid shit that you'd expect him to know not to do), but I also think most of us know that he's done a reasonably decent job of handling the pandemic and that part of that means doing unpopular things.

MAGAt base...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

This is what $15B in taxpayer money looks like when the budget is operated against basic scientific principles.

That's the WonderWall near the San Bernardino National Wildlife Refuge, Arizona after storm season.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Was: the vaunted wall

Is now: the vaulted wall

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yeah, well, maybe a Saudi Spy did help two 9/11 hijackers get set up in 2000... it's taken the FBI 20 years and we're still not sure.

TL;DR - The Kingdom did it.
    acket.

Tomorrow is Election Day in Canada…yet again. Last one was two years ago, where Justin Trudeau won a minority government but lost the popular vote. This time he’s trying to form a majority government, which is self-serving. If he was facing a no-confidence vote from a coalition then it would be different, and would justify calling an election. This is being done purely to expand his power, and it’s a gamble because the polls are showing it to be a tight race.

His Conservative challenger is a guy named Erin O’Toole, who I prefer to call Stool, because that’s more or less what comes out of his mouth. “Take back Canada” is his slogan…eerily similar to MAGA, and certain to plant the same toxic seeds in our clean soil that have already poisoned America.

I’ve been a Conservative voter for most of my adult life, but there’s no way in hell I’m voting for this piece of shit. Just like the guy who came before him, Andrew Scheer, I have no intention of furthering the social conservative agenda, and will likely vote Liberal again.

Trudeau hasn’t impacted my life negatively in the six years he’s been Prime Minister, so he’s the safe vote. Go with what you know. His financial relief for people and businesses during the pandemic is a plus too. Maybe he’s been too generous, but probably a lot better than what it would’ve been under Conservative leadership.

So take back Canada? No thanks, Stool. How about you idiots take back the Conservative party and install a leader actually worth voting for. Someone like Stephen Harper, who was (mostly) great.

As mentioned earlier, it’s a tight race and could go either way. One thing that is for certain is it’ll be another minority government, making this whole thing is a giant waste of time and money.

Administrator
    Wow, Take Back Canada sounds like even less thinly veiled xenophobia than "Make America Great Again"

He's following the successful Trump model of appealing to the lowest and most hateful, and using them to create a base. Hopefully his efforts get snuffed out tomorrow. Trudeau is not perfect, (actually far from it...he's quite idiotic himself), but a lot of people still like him, especially in the densely populated areas where he'll collect most of his votes. Western Canada hates Trudeau the most and will likely go Conservative just because, and all rural areas across the country will go Conservative as well, which is similar to the US. It'll be a close race.