Page 1362 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 3628621262131213521360136113621363136413721412146218622362 ... LastLast
Results 13,611 to 13,620 of 24769

Thread: Politics

Yeah, I know. I probably shouldn’t have made any comments on your response to mr2 and risked side tracking our main discussion. My bad.

Hope we can continue our discussions regarding whether if choices can be smart or dumb...

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Yeah, I know. I probably shouldn’t have made any comments on your response to mr2 and risked side tracking our main discussion. My bad.

Hope we can continue our discussions regarding whether if choices can be smart or dumb...

You continue with this stupid nonsense. Not every decision is smart/ dumb vs nothing else.

Given the choice to do nothing, and then get arrested, or go turn oneself in to the police, which is the stupid decision? Which is the smart decision? The end result is the same. That's a binary choice.
    There is a continuum of choices in almost every single decision you make every single day. "Should I get up now?" is a yes or no question you can ask yourself when the alarm rings. "Yes" doesn't neccesarily mean you're going to work, because you can call in sick and play video games all day. But you got up.
    "No" doesn't mean you're not going to work. Perhaps you're going to meditate for 20 minutes and grab breakfast on the way to work.

It's fucking insane that you keep painting things in a binary manner, yet when it came time to vote, where there literally was a binary choice, you decided to be stupid that there was nuance to be applied. You clearly understand nuance but stay saying stupid shit.

This is why half of this board has you on ignore.

Oh, and, again, when was America great?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    glad I could help

Administrator
    Yeah, get out of here with your reasonable questions and shit.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

And just to be the annoying "drag it back" guy... "most people can be above average"...

Average is not the same as "median". Median is the middle point. There should be the same number above and below the median.
    If your distribution is a "bell curve" (normal distribution) then its assumed that it is symmetrical and that the median and average are the same.
    There are lots of things that are quite close to the bell curve, but are not actually (eg height). It is possible that IQ is not perfectly distributed and the more than half the people are above the average.
    Note - weight is definitely not a bell curve. The heavy end is more extreme - in that its possible to be 5 times the median weight (which would require a few people weighing 0 to average back down)

And lastly... the word "most" is ambiguous. It can mean "more than half", but can also mean "significant majority".
    So yeah - maybe 51% of people are above the average. But I doubt 60% would be. That would require the "low IQ" end to be either more common (more very dumb than very smart) or more extreme (the dumbest are further from average than the smartest)
    How many people would use the word "most" to describe 51%??? (and dont say "most would!")

Resume politics...

Administrator
    Nerd.

Anyone has actual data with real curves?

Naturally I was assuming a normally distributed bell curve with 68% of the population having just average IQ. To really be smart, you need beat this average group denoted in yellow, graph here: https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-...ores-look-like

I suppose I probably shouldn’t consider this average group as dumb. Not smart doesn’t mean dumb, a better way to classify them would just be ‘average’.

Smart/dumb would be black/white, average region would be shades of gray.

Now, to choices. We can probably classify them similarly?

There can be obvious smart and dumb choices, but most of our choices would be gray, or the so call human choices according to Swervo?

The above statement more palatable and accurate to you guys?

I think Neanderthal has posted a fair critique of my comments, so I’ll try my best to respond to help clarify our misunderstandings and try not to piss him off further...

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

You continue with this stupid nonsense. Not every decision is smart/ dumb vs nothing else.
    Fair criticism. Hope my previous post can help you understand why I made such mistake and hope in the future, I’ll try my best to not forget to include shades of gray. Hey, maybe it’s one of the ‘human decisions’ for me to keep on forgetting about shades of gray...

Given the choice to do nothing, and then get arrested, or go turn oneself in to the police, which is the stupid decision? Which is the smart decision? The end result is the same.
    Not necessarily. Turning yourself in has the less chance of you getting shot at compared to police come chasing after you. I’d also add doing the right thing is smarter than not doing the right thing.

There is a continuum of choices in almost every single decision you make every single day. "Should I get up now?" is a yes or no question you can ask yourself when the alarm rings. "Yes" doesn't neccesarily mean you're going to work, because you can call in sick and play video games all day. But you got up.
    "No" doesn't mean you're not going to work. Perhaps you're going to meditate for 20 minutes and grab breakfast on the way to work.
    Yes, I’d agree these would be the gray decisions or maybe be the human decisions Swervo was talking about.

It's fucking insane that you keep painting things in a binary manner, yet when it came time to vote, where there literally was a binary choice, you decided to be stupid that there was nuance to be applied. You clearly understand nuance but stay saying stupid shit.

This is why half of this board has you on ignore.
    Yes. You’re right, but I’m also not wrong that there are obviously smart and dumb choices, right? Not ALL choices are gray. Clearly, you yourself believe that voting for anyone else but Hillary would be a dumb choice, right? We may have different standards of what’s smart/dumb, but we all do have some sort of standard in some cases, right?