Page 1415 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 4159151315136514051413141414151416141714251465151519152415 ... LastLast
Results 14,141 to 14,150 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    I'm okay with Yang. Or, I was until his campaign started sending me unsolicited text messages. Suffice it to say, I'd pick Yang over de Blasio any day.

That’s better than nothing I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    The US Govt interfering in another country's affairs? Perish the thought!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    The US Govt engaging in such grave violations? Perish the thought!!
    This is why i'm bah humbug/ not so enthusiastic about "support the military" stuff. Do we even know what they are doing? Do THEY know what they are doing. And it may not be military, it may be "contractors" but we know who contracts the contractors; the military, so they can maintain plausible deniability of a sort. Or the government through any one of the letter agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    This goes beyond the usual meddling. These are grave violations of constitutional order.
    Color me not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    Yep - This is part of why I teach, rather than pure research.
    Thank you. Teachers at all levels are heros, more so than our soldiers warring against people who live in the third world who happen equipped with rudimentary armaments from the middle of the last century.

The question now is how can Americans hold their government accountable.

When USA does bad things outside of US soil, whether it’s torture people or installing/removing dictators...

What can be done?

I don’t know.

However I do know partisan politics ain’t helping too.

We can talk about W should be a war criminal, but Obama can do likewise, in terms of foreign policies, and still be the best president ever!

Our morality can often be blinded by our political affiliations.

Ideally we probably need an amendment to add something like Star trek’s prime directive. Unless we declare war, we ought to just keep our guns and ideologies to ourselves.

Administrator
    Isolationism helped allow the holocaust to happen. It feels like a good idea, but it's not necessarily a great one.

Ideally, American people should be able to tell congress to declare war to stop evil.

Right now Americans have no such powers. US interests are not what regular Americans interested in, but what the mega corporations want.

US corporations don’t really care which party is in charge.

Administrator
    Ideally we ought to keep our guns and ideologies to ourselves unless a majority decide to do the opposite. Got it.

You are sounding very condescending again.

Fine. Billi's idea sucks. Let's just maintain status quo then.

We shouldn't cage babies nor build any wall, but we'll just keep on causing situations to make their homes miserable so that they're forced to leave... Just let the vicious cycle continue. Got it. I can play this game too.

Administrator
    You're right, I shouldn't have been condescending, but I maintain that the two things you said were ideal are incompatible.

Back to Star Trek analogy, federation obeying prime directive doesn’t really make them isolationists, right?

We need to learn to not interfere, not meddle purely out of our own selfish interests... however, there could be time when we absolutely need to interfere and engage if something clearly evil is happening.

I also hate the fact that American people don’t even have a say in how we ought to treat with foreign nationals. Whether it’s torture or caging babies... we are powerless to stop the atrocities done by our government.

Our government has great powers, and it isn’t being very responsible with its awesome power.