Page 1640 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 6401140154015901630163816391640164116421650169017402140 ... LastLast
Results 16,391 to 16,400 of 24806

Thread: Politics

Junior Potato
    FuCk CeNtRiStStS ThOuGh

Anything but Trump is what I say.

One term would hurt his ego.

HAY GUYZ CHECK THIS OUT AND IT'S JUNE 4TH TODAY

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/o...-military.html

Tom Cotton: Send in the Troops

I didn't recognize the date nor Göring's face.

Tienanmen square massacre happened on that date in China.

Interesting, one of the demands is to defund the police..., LAPD is really going to get defunded... about $100~150 million in cuts. Kamala Harris is also pushing legislation to further limit police power...

Sounds good in theory, but are we really addressing the racism issue?
    Or couldn’t we be more strict with how police hire and train their officers? Should we really just assume all blue lives are racists?

Even the justice system needs reforming... need to end lawyers ability to select their own jurors... just make sure jurors are competent enough and then they should be randomly assigned. Jurors also should be ‘blind folded’ so that we can’t know the race of defendants. Jury will make their verdicts based purely on evidences presented. No more ability for jurors to see the face to know whether if said person looks guilty or innocent...

I dunno, not a lawyer, don’t even know if any of my ideas are even doable. However, I just don’t think defunding the police and further tie up the hands of all police officers is the answer.

Racial profiling all blacks as criminals is wrong. Likewise assuming all blue lives are assholes can’t be right either.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Doug shared this on twitter:

I don't know how to answer your questions without writing a book on structure and agency, billi, but the short version is that an actor in a social sphere has her movements restricted by a lot of tangible and intangible things that society has in place; from that restricted space she is free to take her own decisions and try to move to her happiness. Certain groups of actors have further, more rigid restrictions than others, put another way certain actors enjoy privileges which depend on the existence of those restrictions placed on others. What the graph shows is how our society has become more restrictive towards certain people (police are mostly there to protect the property of the privileged few who own it), so what we need a) a is less rigid structure, b) actors who are conscious of their own privileges and willing to give them up for a more equitable distribution and c) a bigger social net upon which to setup social networks for more social mobility for more people.
    acket.

Administrator
    The author is a little colorful with his descriptions (I thought the "military precision" bit was a good sign it was going to be over the top), but the actual description of what was happening gibes with what I was seeing and what my friend who lives there described.

What I Saw from the Midst of the Looting in Santa Monica

Administrator
    Re: defunding the LAPD, this is a graphic that was going around this morning after our mayor said he was going to reduce their budget by $150 million.

I somehow don't think that the police will be rendered helpless here...

Mario, I completely agree with your C, bigger social net to be able to lift people out of poverty 1st...

As for B, I'm not sure we can rely on people willingly giving up their privileges. Other than Jesus Christ, who does that these days? To hope that people will give privilege up is just being too naive. I had been counting on a more equitable distribution whether it's thru Sanders/Warren's progressive programs or Yang's UBI..., but not only the rich don't like that... even the common voters don't think it's possible to be THAT equitable... yes, some wouldn't mind giving privileges up... some will even donate money... and actually work to fight inequalities, but for sure most won't do that. Also, even if the powerful pays lip service to do that, doesn't even mean that it can be done. Remember, BLM started when Obama was in office. Of course, not blaming racial injustices on Obama... nor am I trying to say that Obama don't care about black lives, but it's just difficult to fight for structural change.

Lastly to your A, not sure what you meant by rigid. IMHO, at least in theory, US system has been pretty flexible compared to other authoritarian regimes. Our justice system is suppose to let go criminals more than wrongfully convict the innocent. IMHO, our system is simply being corrupted and therefore biased against black people. We just need to figure out a way to clean up or remove the bias in the system.

For example, US government at the moment is pretty fucked up, but only because of the bad actors occupying those offices, not because US constitution itself has some errors which caused these problems. I'm not sure if 'system' is our main problem. We just need to remove and prevent future bad actors from jacking our system.

Looking at that chart... the solution shouldn't be to reduce law and order funding just to match welfare funding or education funding... The solution should be in increase welfare and education funding... and try hard to stop bad actors from continuing bad stuffs to ensure law and order are maintained fairly.

If prison population doesn't reflect actual population, something if fucking wrong. If racial make up of all COVID19 patients doesn't reflect general population, something is fucking wrong. Government should monitor these things... and the solutions should be to increase funding to fix the problem... not trying to fix problems by cutting funds.

Anyway, I just thought it's kinda ridiculous to see Minneapolis police fucking up and then LAPD needs to cut funding to comfort the angry mob. The solution makes no sense to me.

LA mayor and Kamala need to think harder about a true reform rather than just cripple the police financially and legally as some sort of PR move.

[edit]
    Anyway, Swervo, even if the cut is next to nothing compared to $3billion, but I still don't think it'll actually solve the problem most people want solved! Which is police brutality against minorities.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; June 4th, 2020 at 01:49 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Not sure what you meant by rigid.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ion_of_Society
    acket.