Page 1732 of 2486 FirstFirst ... 7321232163216821722173017311732173317341742178218322232 ... LastLast
Results 17,311 to 17,320 of 24856

Thread: Politics

McConnell said appointing another justice would be worth losing the Senate and White House. Because it controls the outcome of lawsuits. Which sets laws. And can drag on for years. And most of the time, nothing substantive changes during the lawsuit. If Gorsuch and Kavanaugh live to be 90ish, they've got nearly 40 more years on the bench. Add another 40 something jurist ... I'll be dead and they'll still be on the SC.

All motherfuckers had to do was vote for the lady with the emails.
    Last edited by neanderthal; September 19th, 2020 at 11:44 PM.

I saw something that suggested the Democrats should make a pledge that if the Senate appoints Trump's nominee, and then they go on to win control of congress/WH, they will change the court to 13 justices, essentially neutralizing all of Trumps appointees, plus 1.

Could backfire though, as old school republicans that don't like the current GOP and may be willing to vote Left, or stay home, may change their minds.

Yeah I don’t like packing the court politically... even if my personal beliefs are so very against the current makeup of SCOTUS. We’re in this situation partially because Dems moved to remove the filibuster back in the Harry Reid days, and Mitch warned him it’d backfire, and it sure did. We Democrats/Progressives need to be more careful with stuff like this, because Republicans WILL use every and any advantage they can to fuck the country over.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    But aren't the circuit courts more important in setting up the legal arguments of big decisions before they reach the high court?
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Also, you should copy us. We only give supreme constitutional magistrates 9-year mandates.
    acket.

Nah, you should copy us. We have judges from other jurisdictions sit in our court of final appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Yeah I don’t like packing the court politically... even if my personal beliefs are so very against the current makeup of SCOTUS. We’re in this situation partially because Dems moved to remove the filibuster back in the Harry Reid days, and Mitch warned him it’d backfire, and it sure did. We Democrats/Progressives need to be more careful with stuff like this, because Republicans WILL use every and any advantage they can to fuck the country over.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    But aren't the circuit courts more important in setting up the legal arguments of big decisions before they reacYh the high court?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    But aren't the circuit courts more important in setting up the legal arguments of big decisions before they reach the high court?
    Trump's McConnell's been stacking the courts for the last four years.

So while that's a good point that the lower courts set much of the precedent, they've already been spoiled.
    Last edited by neanderthal; September 20th, 2020 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    No lie detected.

But, I remember those days. It needed to be donebecause for the first time in almost all our recorded history the Senators refused to do their job. Legislation couldn't get passed.

While the blame should go to Harry Reid, the responsibility should go where it belongs: the Republicans who swore Obama would be a one term president.