Page 1140 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 1406401040109011301138113911401141114211501190124016402140 ... LastLast
Results 11,391 to 11,400 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    $100 bucks says that anybody who defends this latest shenanigans by saying "We're just enforcing the law" has also said "That ticket is bullshit, I was barely 5 mph over the limit".
    No lie detected!

Quoted without comment.
    Screenshot_20180620-194440.jpg

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    When family separation is stopped something worse is in the pipeline.

If you were to put a number to it...

3. DEHUMANIZATION: One group denies the humanity of the other group. Members of it are equated with animals, vermin, insects or diseases. Dehumanization overcomes the normal human revulsion against murder. At this stage, hate propaganda in print and on hate radios is used to vilify the victim group. In combating this dehumanization, incitement to genocide should not be confused with protected speech. Genocidal societies lack constitutional protection for countervailing speech, and should be treated differently than democracies. Local and international leaders should condemn the use of hate speech and make it culturally unacceptable. Leaders who incite genocide should be banned from international travel and have their foreign finances frozen. Hate radio stations should be shut down, and hate propaganda banned. Hate crimes and atrocities should be promptly punished.

4. ORGANIZATION: Genocide is always organized, usually by the state, often using militias to provide deniability of state responsibility (the Janjaweed in Darfur.) Sometimes organization is informal (Hindu mobs led by local RSS militants) or decentralized (terrorist groups.) Special army units or militias are often trained and armed. Plans are made for genocidal killings. To combat this stage, membership in these militias should be outlawed. Their leaders should be denied visas for foreign travel. The U.N. should impose arms embargoes on governments and citizens of countries involved in genocidal massacres, and create commissions to investigate violations, as was done in post-genocide Rwanda.

5. POLARIZATION: Extremists drive the groups apart. Hate groups broadcast polarizing propaganda. Laws may forbid intermarriage or social interaction. Extremist terrorism targets moderates, intimidating and silencing the center. Moderates from the perpetrators’ own group are most able to stop genocide, so are the first to be arrested and killed. Prevention may mean security protection for moderate leaders or assistance to human rights groups. Assets of extremists may be seized, and visas for international travel denied to them. Coups d’état by extremists should be opposed by international sanctions.
    ... would you say 3.6 is too much?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Quoted without comment.
    Screenshot_20180620-194440.jpg
    Ugh, that really fucked my neighborhood. Couple places ended up closing down due to harassment.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Trump’s Executive Order Turns Family Separation Into Family Incarceration
    It also opens up military bases as detention centers and indicates an intention to reopen the Flores settlement.

Parents and babies are still going to be incarcerated while those prosecutions continue; it just appears that now they will be held together. And under the executive order, any public agency, including the Bureau of Prisons and the Department of Defense—which would mean the federal prison system and military bases—must make its facilities available for the incarceration of these families.

What’s more, the executive order announces that the Trump administration intends to petition a court to revisit the landmark 1997 Flores settlement, which set forth minimum conditions for the treatment and detention of migrant children. The centerpiece of Flores requires that children be released from government custody as quickly as possible. Separately, it requires that those who are held have access to education, health care and recreation, and that they not be kept in confinement. The Trump administration wants to dismantle those minimum child-welfare protections so that it can, in the words of the executive order, “detain alien families together throughout the pendency of criminal proceedings for improper entry or any removal or other immigration proceedings.”
    acket.

Concentration camps?

Mexicans are now the new Jews!

If history's any indication, guess which side will lose in the end?

I know we don't talk policy here, but my employer (Army Corps of Engineers) is about to be restructured by the Administration. They're going to take the Civil Works program out of our hands and redistribute it to the DoI and DoT. It always seemed odd to me the Army had such a heavy hand in domestic infrastructure so I support the theory behind it.

Consolidate Mission Alignment of Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works
    Move the Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) Civil Works out of the Department of Defense to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Department of the Interior (DOI) to consolidate and align the Corps’ missions with these agencies. It moves the Corps Civil Works commercial navigation mission to DOT and the remaining Corps Civil Works missions (flood and storm damage reduction, aquatic ecosystem restoration, regulatory and all other activities) to DOI. This proposal increases consistency of Federal policy and actions in both transportation and natural resource management resulting in more rational public policy outcomes, and better Federal investment decisions.
    Other items include:
    -Standing up the Federal Food Safety Agency to bring all food safety functions under one federal agency.
    -Dept of Education and Workforce (DEW) consolidating DoE and DoL.
    -Moving the USDA Rural Housing program to HUD.
    -Restructuring the USPS to be self-sustaining.
    -The Department of Health and Public Welfare:

The Department of Health and Public Welfare Consolidate non-commodity nutrition assistance programs – such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) – under the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), renaming HHS the Department of Health and Public Welfare to better capture the nature of its programs. The proposal also establishes a Council on Public Assistance, comprised of all agencies that administer public benefits, with authority to set cross-program policies. The proposal better aligns Federal administration of major public assistance programs with how they are often run at the State and local levels, providing consistent policies and a single point of contact, and reduces duplication in State reporting and other administrative burdens.
    From a policy perspective it's a 'Libertarian' 'win' in a practical sense. I doubt much of the list will be accomplished but here's hoping they try and don't just change the name of the agencies and keep the bloat.

Logically it makes a lot of sense.

Let's see if it is only done to eliminate those certain branches.

The main reason I think it's mostly pie in the sky stuff is because the USPS restructure is a daunting task that I don't think they're capable of. Makes me wonder how much else they've pledged to take on that they can't possibly achieve.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    The USPS needs an exorcism. That being said, I think the problem with anyone in this administration attempting to restructure the USPS is going to be held up by the stumbling block of this Amazon stupidity. Guarantee Trump will want to renegotiate every postage rate deal the USPS has.

Not that he has the power to do so, but still. And attempting to get Congress, who had the power over the USPS to agree to anything as big as a restructering is going to be nigh impossible.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via