Page 1324 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 3248241224127413141322132313241325132613341374142418242324 ... LastLast
Results 13,231 to 13,240 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Nazi concentration camps. Dachau 1933 can't equate to Sobidór.
    acket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    However, I just don’t think it’s appropriate to equate what’s happening now to nazi concentration camp.
    I think AOC agrees with you, which is why she specifically left out the "nazi" part.

Possibly, but looking at Mario’s post, it’s hard for me to leave Nazi out.

I hate to quote myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    IIRC the first instance that fits the definition is the British internment of Boers. Then the Nazi first had Dachau and Sachsenhausen (for political prisoners) and when they annexed Poland they built Stutthof where they would send ethnic Poles (as opposed to Polish citizens of German ethnicity) before they were deported from the fatherland. At around the same time you had the Japanese-American internment camps in the California desert. And very recently you have those re-education camps for political and ethnic minorities in China.

The idea of a concentration camp is basically to otherize and separate equals based on ideological groupings.
    The whole point of the Stephen Miller Detention Shelters is that those kids are, somehow, separate from your kids, and that unlike your kids they have some rights, but they are different rights.

That's where it begins, and if left unchecked it only escalates.

FFS, people were pardoned out of Dachau in Christmas of its first year!
    Last edited by FaultyMario; June 25th, 2019 at 10:39 AM.
    acket.

And just to drive home the point about Stephen "Himmler ain't got shit on me" Miller:

If you have it in your resume that you were the senior advisor to a religious zealot who makes claims more likely grounded on paranoid delusions and to a racist attorney who uses his power to drastically limit the ability of the federal authorities to review claims of abuse by local police departments, then you're probably either a delusional religious zealot or a racist, or something in that general vicinity.
    acket.

To drive home my point... Americans in general are not complacent or numb or scared into doing this kind of evil in the migrant detention centers... totally unlike Japanese camps or camps in Guantanamo Bay. Those were truely unamerican evils done by the US government and the most of the population were scared enough to turn a blind eye on them. Trump wasn't even around back then.

If you want to paint Trump as a racist delusional zealot, well, I can't really argue with that. Very possible... considering most of the folks working for him are like that. However, Trump is very inconsistent with his actions though. For example, why would a racist give more money than Obama to the historically black schools? Why would he meet with black pastors? Those black school admins and black pastors are praising Trump more than Obama!!! What the heck? So perhaps the 'racist' part is questionable? It is possible that perhaps most "normal" political folks don't really want to work for Trump; therefore, we get those questionable extremists offering their services to a novice president.

I think there is still a glimmer of hope with this lousy president. At least so far he still hasn't led us into another stupid war... yet. He's also reversing family separation policy. So maybe he's not as bad as we fear, but still, I'd rather see him out of office come 2020. This should be another race for the dems to lose. Let's better hope the DNC candidates won't end up killing each other in a circular firing squad and allow Trump to reemerge as a victor again... fingers crossed.

Michele Bachmann and Jeff Sessions, respectively.
    acket.

Read this somewhere and totally agree.

"I think we should call them TRUMP camps. That's the only thing that he cares about, his brand"

Plaster his name all over these things and see how he reacts.

Administrator
    You know you fucked up when Highlights for Children is calling you out:

https://twitter.com/Highlights/statu...72539358240774

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Onion
    Tips For Staying Civil While Debating Child Prisons

Recent incidents of Trump officials being confronted in public for their role in the administration’s separation and imprisonment of immigrant families have driven renewed concern about the lack of civility in U.S. politics. The Onion presents tips for staying civil in a debate about child prisons.

• Avoid unkind generalizations like equating the jailing of ethnic minorities with some malevolent form of fascism.
    • Consider that we all have different perspectives stemming from things like age, ethnicity, or level of racism.
    • Recall that violently rejecting a tyrannical government goes against everything our forefathers believed in.
    • Find common ground by recognizing that some kids are huge assholes.
    • Make sure any protests are peaceful, silent, and completely out of sight of anyone who could actually affect government policy.
    • Give your political opponents the benefit of the doubt by letting this play out for 20 years and seeing if it gets any better on its own.
    • Realize that every pressing social issue is solved through civil discourse if you ignore virtually all of human history.
    • Remind yourself that you’re just two people having a cocktail at the same D.C. party and that politics is a game to you.
    • Avoid painting with a broad brush. Not everyone in favor of zero-tolerance immigration wants to see children in cages—it’s more likely that they just don’t care.
    https://www.theonion.com/tips-for-st...ons-1827147411