Page 1985 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 985148518851935197519831984198519861987199520352085 ... LastLast
Results 19,841 to 19,850 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Nina Turner's lead is shrinking according to the new polls. Anti-establishment candidates really need to control their anger and not have negative ads. Just show voters what you're going to do... don't show that your anti anything. Only thing politically correct to be angry against are white males I think. Everything else we gotta tread carefully...

I predict come actual election, Nina Turner will finish 4th or last in her race just like Andrew Yang. These russian assets can only lead in fake polls.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Trump was mildly amusing in WW84, when he was making people ask all those wishes in his name.

Not the jerk who is making the attendees to his rallies boo the US Women's National Team (soccer). You don't boo the national team at a finals tournament, you clown. Elimination rounds? sure. it's part of the exigency.

When will this idiot learn some fútbol etiquette?
    acket.

6 Democrats voted against the $2.1B US Capitol security/ Afghan relocation bill.

Bowman NY
    Bush MO
    Ocasio Cortez NY
    Omar MN
    Pressley MA
    Tlaib MI

I really don't care what their rationale was. "The squad" sucks. They're really trying very hard to be the left wing tea party; to wield outsize clout and influence on the left. I had hope for Pressley but I can't be bothered anymore.

I don't know the rationale of this bill... why is it such an emergency to secure our capitol? We did our best with all available resources and our capitol was just overran by Trump supporters? Was that what happened? Problem was lack of funding?

As for Afghan relocation, why couldn't DoD pick up the tab? Like we just didn't pay them enough? The need more money to fight wars... and they need additional money to end wars... no matter what we do, they just need more money?

It'd be nice to care about people's rationale before judging them as suckers.

IMHO, our capitol was in trouble not because we don't have enough money. They chose to not spend the money to beef up security... they have the resources they needed already... so they should not be 'rewarded' with more money. Money won't solve this particular problem.

As for afghan relocation, I can sorta understand... military doesn't want to withdraw... Biden insisted... so they want Biden to pay for the extra cost.

I really don't see the need to beef up security for the Capitol. It'd truly be an emergency if the insurrectionists just overcame government's best effort. That's just not the case. A well funded capitol police simply chose to sleep on the job. Rewarding them with more money is ludicrous IMHO. If the additional money is intended to pay/compensate for injured capitol police or national guards, then I can understand.

US is burning and flooded all over... those are true emergencies. I really don't think our Capitol is in any danger.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 30th, 2021 at 11:48 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    As for afghan relocation, I can sorta understand... military doesn't want to withdraw... Biden insisted... so they want Biden to pay for the extra cost.
    Just to clarify, this is budget to relocate the Afghan citizens who helped the US military (translators and such). They were promised visas to come to the US, and are under threat from the Taliban now that the US military is pulling out. The bill allocates $1 billion for the relocation of those citizens to the US.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Did the bill have enough votes to pass without the squad?

Were there amendments that the party leadership did not allow to be written into the bill or some that were forced into it that the squad opposed?

Clearing that up explains the stance that these congresspersons took.
    acket.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, it passed overwhelmingly, 416-11. For whatever reason, I don't see much of any indication on why they voted against it, which is surprising. The only thing I could find was some far-right article just talking about what horrible people they are, no actual reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Just to clarify, this is budget to relocate the Afghan citizens who helped the US military (translators and such). They were promised visas to come to the US, and are under threat from the Taliban now that the US military is pulling out. The bill allocates $1 billion for the relocation of those citizens to the US.
    Them and their families.
    If/ when we abandon our allies and leave them to their fate, we lose the capability of recruiting locals to interpret/ guide/ grease the whhels/etc in the future. As someone who is very anti American imperialism,i'm ok with that; we shouldn'gt be involving ourselves with other peoples shit. But im a big believer in keeping your word, ... so we owe these translators and guides and their families. They took a great risk working with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh yeah, it passed overwhelmingly, 416-11. For whatever reason, I don't see much of any indication on why they voted against it, which is surprising. The only thing I could find was some far-right article just talking about what horrible people they are, no actual reasoning.
    Defund the police.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    “I am tired of the fact that any time where there is a failure in our system of policing, the first response is for us to give them more money, rather than investigate the failings and hold those responsible accountable,” Omar told The Intercept, explaining her vote. “I’ll continue to fight for structural change that actually centers people’s safety and humanity. That applies to us here in the Capitol, as well as my constituents in Minneapolis.”
    Source.

I think Omar's reasoning is pretty legit. 2008 financial crisis. Wall Street fucked it up. What's our solution? Print and give them more money.

Now, I'm not an advocate of defunding police, that's stupid thing to do. We have been militarizing our police... and I'm pretty sure lack of funding was NOT the reason why the Capitol was overran... to throw more money at it won't really solve the problem. If the insurrectionists were black, you will be able to see how militarized the Capitol police really is. There will be no need for national guards.

As for the visas for the Afghans... why shouldn't the military be responsible to take care of that? When you are useful, we used you. When you're no longer needed..., fuck off you stupid translators. Go talk to uncle Sam for help. We don't need you anymore. We don't care if Taliban kills you and your family. Not our problem. DoD is only responsible for creating wars.

Anyway, I think that's how we end up creating monsters like Bin Laden and Hussein. When they're enemy of our enemies, we pretend to befriend them. When we have no more use for them, we stop give a fuck about them. I wonder why they keep on fighting us.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 30th, 2021 at 05:32 PM.