Page 1920 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 9201420182018701910191819191920192119221930197020202420 ... LastLast
Results 19,191 to 19,200 of 24769

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I, for one, really enjoyed seeing Billi tell someone he thought their post was long-winded and went nowhere.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It’s frustrating watching progressives and moderates fight on the Dem side when no Republicans voted for increased minimum wage at all.
    It’s just frustrating that liberals cannot all agree workers should be paid living wages.

Fuck the republicans ok? They are not even part of our discussions. Budget reconciliation requires zero republican senator’s vote.

It’s also mind boggling to me that they are nickel and diming this rescue package trying to ‘target’ the right Americans...

Why not just make this taxable?

For those Americans with jobs and don’t need the help, just tax the money back! For those who made $80k in 2019 but lost their job in 2020, they could still get the help that they need.

Don’t know why they have to fight so hard amongst themselves and take so long to save average Americans.

Wall st rescue back in Obama days came more swiftly with less debate and with bipartisanship too! I wonder why...

Do you guys really believe being this ‘pragmatic’ will help the dems win big during midterm?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 6th, 2021 at 10:13 AM.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...an-hour/?amp=1

2/3 of Americans favor $15min wage increase. It has bipartisan support.

Our congress refuse to represent the will of the people is really disheartening.

People inventing excuses for those corrupt politician really should... repent and ask God’s forgiveness!

You think black and brown people should respect white supremacists?

I get trying to be respectful to opposing political views when its things like arguing over regulations, or taxes, or whatever. But you're talking about people protesting for the right to not be murdered due to the color of their skin, and "counter protestors" who believe in the genocide of anyone not white.

Edit: I assumed "dressing in all black" was a reference to BLM, but you might be talking about something else, if so, my bad
    Yeah man, I was talking about Billi's buddies outside of America adopting black outfits as their de facto uniform in the second half of 2019. I was not referring to the situation in America, whether in relation to race in any way, white supremacists, BLM, or 2020.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; March 6th, 2021 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    You mean progressives are upset that "moderate" democrats decided to side with Republicans. No one expects the Republicans to vote for it, and hard to focus on them when they are getting support from your party.
    Eh, there’s moderates who would rather see something like a $10-12 minimum wage and can probably be convinced to have a COL modifier based on area/state from there. Personally I think that’s a good middle ground, so WV can have $10, NYC can have $20 or whatever it’d end up being, etc.

Were they discussing or negotiating about that?

As far as I know, thanks to the parliamentarian, it was a flat nope, end of discussion.

Theoretically Harris can override it, iirc or “fire” the parliamentarian, something like that. But, I don’t think Biden/Harris want to get “extreme” in their attempts at “unity”. I imagine minimum wage will come up again though in the near future, it’s a hot button topic. Not being able to do it through reconciliation will be an issue though, because the Senate is effectively under opposition control when the controlling party only has 50+1 votes due to the fillibuster

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Were they discussing or negotiating about that?

As far as I know, thanks to the parliamentarian, it was a flat nope, end of discussion.
    But didn't St Bernard insist on its inclusion? Was that before or after the parliamentarian? Because I KNOW that before the parli... ian (fuck that long spelling) Bernie was told it wouldn't pass.

IMHO, its a good idea to get people on record, especially for future votes/negotiations

Theoretically Harris can override it, iirc or “fire” the parliamentarian, something like that. But, I don’t think Biden/Harris want to get “extreme” in their attempts at “unity”. I imagine minimum wage will come up again though in the near future, it’s a hot button topic. Not being able to do it through reconciliation will be an issue though, because the Senate is effectively under opposition control when the controlling party only has 50+1 votes due to the fillibuster
    Reality. Narrated by Jason.

It sets a very, very bad precedent/ slippery slope to over ride the parl...ian when you have a 1 vote (not quite) majority. Because some of the more pragmatic (read less progressive/ more conservative) members of your caucus may not vote with or OR switch parties, OR declare they are independent. There goes your (non) majority.

------

$15/ hr would have happened in the natural order of things in the next 2 years if Bernie had stayed in his lane. I firmly believe this.

The covid bill gives people immediate, albeit temporary, financial relief. Money goes to state governments, cities, families get more money if they have kids. Schools reopen (grrrr, don't get me started!*) life goes back to normal and the economy bounces back.
    Biden says in early 2022, "hey, look, the economy is going well (go with it, don't bring your common sense yet!**) we gave people money and it worked to reorient the economy, and we can supercharge it by raising the minimum wage, which is basically doing the same thing!" Republicans would have a fit, of course and come up with a pithy 3 word slogan against it. But Biden encourages Dems to run on raising the minimum wage.

Supermajority with filibuster proof senate, in my opinion. But Bernie fucked it up. Now senators who weren't even in the conversation are going to be on defense.

* teachers and all school staff needed/ need to be in the first group of people getting vaccinated because teachers are CRIMINALLY underpaid. And you can't open schools if it means we're going to lose teachers to covid. That's just fucking dumb.
    ** the ecenomy will always recover because there is too much money to be made in a healthy/ booming economy when more people have disposable income than in one where less people have disposable income. It's for this reason that i'm confident investing in Zimbabwean stocks even though that economy is crap. The companies that are segment leaders are not going to disappear overnight.