Page 1052 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 52552952100210421050105110521053105410621102115215522052 ... LastLast
Results 10,511 to 10,520 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Moore got less than 150k fewer votes than Sessions did when he ran as an unopposed incumbent in 2014 (650k vs. 790k).

There was actually a challenger this time and democratic/independent voters showed up. Total voting went from 818k to 1.34M from 2014.

By the way, write-ins were identical. 22k in 2014, and 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Republican voters are beginning to grow some conscience!
    From what I've seen this morning, I don't think Republicans grew any kind of a conscience. It appears they mostly voted along party lines again, without regard to the character of the candidate.

One source of several I've seen this morning: Washington Post exit poll results: How different groups voted in Alabama
    Last edited by George; December 13th, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

I thought the write in ballots were the key to Roys defeat? To do that, those voters must've done it because of conscience?

Well, all I know is what I've seen on various sites such as the one I linked above, but it looks like polls are saying the vast majority of registered Republicans who voted in this election voted for Moore.

I can't seem to grab the URL of any of the charts on that page to post them here, but if you scroll down to about one-third of the way down that page, there's a chart saying that 91% of Republican voters told pollsters they voted for Moore.

If true, this makes the Alabama Republican party look like it doesn't give a damn about morals or character. I don't understand how anyone with a sense of right and wrong could vote for Moore. Or Trump.

And I used to be a pretty serious Republican. Now I'm just disgusted at the whole mess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ama/947476001/

This is the article that said it's the 'write-in' votes that did Moore in... 22,780 of republicans just couldn't vote for a democrat nor Roy Moore so they wrote in somebody else on the ballot.

Jones won by fewer than 21,000 votes.

Not sure where the final tally is, but God probably played a hand with this tiny fine tuning because He heard your prayer!

I think the moral of the story is that we shouldn't take party lines too seriously. If you're always on one side and cannot find any redeeming values on the other side, then you're probably a bit too polarized.

I also hope both parties pay attention to voter frustration at this lesser of the 2 evil game. Just present us higher quality candidates in the future please!

Anyway, I hope the sacrifice made by Al Franken will be all worth it in the end...

George, please pray for President Trump too!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 13th, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

Tuesday night, the Alabama secretary of state tallied 22,780 votes for write-in candidates, though many of those may ultimately be discarded because they were not cast far an actual registered candidate. Jones beat Moore by fewer than 21,000 votes. You do the math.

As a point of comparison, in 2016, Shelby won his re-election 64%-36% over a Democratic challenger, and there were fewer than 4,000 write-in ballots. And that was in a presidential year, so there were many more voters participating in the election (about 2.1 million versus the 1.3 million votes cast Tuesday night.)
    Do the math? Ok ... 22,780 minus 4,000ish usual write-ins is not enough to change the vote. Moore would have had to count on 92% of the write-ins voting for him instead.

Gee, you and swervo really like to nitpick the details, huh?

FaF in an earlier post claimed the they get about 22k write-in votes every election cycle... So who's right and who's posting fake news? Who the fuck cares at this point?

The important point is that there were enough Republican voters with sufficient conscience which allowed Jones to win. There's still a glimmer of hope for America. Amexit is not going to continue out of control! This should be a turning point..., hopefully we won't go any lower...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    If I voted purely based on faith, I'd have no candidates to vote for in almost any election. So yeah, those on the left have no problem ignoring the religion of a candidate, as long as the policy is there.

The same can't be said for the right, though, imo.
    Yup. And 80% of "Christians" voted for Moore. Seems like "values" have nothing to do with it.

Well what does the bible say about kiddy-fiddling?

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites ... And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males ... And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones ... And Moses was wroth with the officers ... And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
    Last edited by G'day Mate; December 13th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.

"When you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything."