Page 1078 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 78578978102810681076107710781079108010881128117815782078 ... LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,780 of 24733

Thread: Politics

The Plot Against America

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtlantic.com
    His acts of rebellion were not merely aesthetic. Manafort rewrote the rules of his adopted city.

In the early ’80s, he created a consulting firm that ignored the conventions that had previously governed lobbying. When it came to taking on new clients, he was uninhibited by moral limits. In 2016, his friends might not have known the specifics of his Cyprus accounts, all the alleged off-the-books payments to him captured in Cyrillic ledgers in Kiev.

But they knew enough to believe that he could never sustain the exposure that comes with running a presidential campaign in the age of opposition research and aggressive media. “The risks couldn’t have been more obvious,” one friend who attempted to dissuade him from the job told me. But in his frayed state, these warnings failed to register.
    Engrossing read. Too bad since I highly doubt anything will come of the Russia investigation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/joe-k...e-union-2018-1

Rep. Joe Kennedy, a 37-year-old Massachusetts Democrat and a scion of the Kennedy political dynasty, will deliver the Democratic Party's response to President Donald Trump's State of the Union address on Tuesday night.

Many top Democrats hailed Kennedy's selection as a sign that the party is looking to bring fresh faces to the forefront of national politics.

"Joe Kennedy is the future," President Barack Obama's former speechwriter and foreign policy adviser, Ben Rhodes, tweeted last week. "Glad to see the Democrats embracing that."

OR

But critics, from the left and right, say Kennedy — the grandson of Robert F. Kennedy and grand-nephew of President John F. Kennedy and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, who has inherited millions from his family — is instead representative of a Democratic Party of the past and is a member of the country's most elite.

"What's going to change the downward spiral of the Democratic Party is a rich nepotistic prince with inherited wealth of $15 million who is vehemently against marijuana legalization & pro-surveillance. Just what they need," liberal journalist Glenn Greenwald tweeted.

A Republican PAC, America Rising, called Kennedy a "rich, boring Pelosi ally" in response to news of his selection.

Some Tea Party 'Murican could make waves if they were pro-Medicare for all, pro-Social Security, pro-guns and sourced donations capped at $25 USD per person/entity.

Split both parties.

"We have a fresh face for you."

*door number 3 slides open*

"A Kennedy!"

*sad trombone sound*

Well said!

2020 Democratic Ticket: Kennedy/Clinton

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    IMO the response part isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    They are hoping to catch lightning again, because didn't Obama offer a response to Bush way back when?
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

He was the keynote speaker at the 2004 DNC which was introduction as a national figure.

I think it's clear that America needs a 3rd party if this is the best DNC could offer.

I personally have no issues with Kennedy name... or even Bill Clinton himself. (Other than them being womanizers)

My main beef with Hillary is that she just seemed too eager to occupy the White House, yet, I'm still not really sure what she really stands for...

If this 37 year old can really prove himself worthy over the years, I have no problems throwing my support behind a Kennedy.

Otherwise, I hope the independents seek the opportunity to form a formidable 3rd party now..., as the 2 major parties fumble.