Page 1087 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 87587987103710771085108610871088108910971137118715872087 ... LastLast
Results 10,861 to 10,870 of 24733

Thread: Politics

I couldn't tell- my grant structure changed with the new year/Spring semester, so I'm making more than I did previously.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    This douchebag -

- is running unopposed for the Republican primary in Illinois' third congressional district. He's a Holocaust denier and former head of the American Nazi Party.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Nazis and child molesters... yet the GOP is the "family values" party.

Trump evangelical adviser says you don't need flu shots when you have Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=IcZeGMuQ2oo

Ross had a good take on the Nazi Republican. I don't remember the specifics but the gist of it was that basically anyone can sign up for the primary pretty easily. I suspect a real Republican will step forward closer to the filing deadline and this nutjob will lose his platform.

Administrator
    Given that the candidate filing deadline was 12/4/2017, I don't think that'll happen. That said, the article mentions that it's a solidly democratic district and the guy has essentially no shot at winning, but he will go to the general being guaranteed a win in the Republican primary.

[Filing deadline taken from this ballotpedia article, which also lists him as the only Republican candidate: https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois%27_...lection,_2018]
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 6th, 2018 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks!

Hopefully the media will do the right thing and not give him a platform to spew his rhetoric from.

That's awfully optimistic of you...

Sorry for the late response. I have been away for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Discussion follows. Not argument. I just thought I'd get on my soapbox for a minute here.

I'm with you guys on the social problems and inequality in this country (and I wasn't always), but I cannot support new spending, or even current spending. No way.

Congress should...no, must balance the budget before spending more money.

I realize I'm in the minority on this, at this forum and certainly in the "gimme-gimme" real world where everyone, rich and poor alike, wants "free" money from the government, but I say we need to cut spending and raise taxes until all debts are paid, and then maintain a balanced budget. A Constitutional amendment requiring one would be good, and yes, I realize how difficult those are to get passed.
    It amazes me how these theories that Democrats want "free" handouts, and don't care about the budget or deficit. Same goes for Republicans being the "Jobs" party, or better for the economy. When over the last 30 years it has been quite the opposite across the board.

Every Dem I know only wants people to have an even chance to get a job, and to pay our own way.

We don't like paying taxes either. I guess the problem is that we want some kind of benefit from our taxes (i.e. infrastructure). Somehow, that makes us "want free stuff"? And yet, huge tax cuts to corporations already making record profits isn't seen as a giveaway.

[/end rant] However... to your point, I disagree. I think we need to spend the money now to fix what is broken (i.e. infrastructure), or would be benefit us as a nation. Infrastructure spending would benefit us both in the near term (construction jobs) and long term (see China). While it would be a long, hard road to balancing the budget. We could do both!!! just by reducing the military budget. But yet... the Republican congress has increased the already unsustainable military budget over what was requested, and above the cap set on defense spending.

I'm all for paying off the debt. I'd LOVE that. But, I don't think it should be on the shoulders of the middle-class through more taxes, when corporations are raking in billions of dollars in tax cuts and military spending is nearly 60% of our budget. I'd be more than happy to share the responsibility of paying it back through higher taxes, after those are addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'm actually a huge fan of cutting spending overall, but that doesn't mean cutting services. I'm a firm believer that a lot of our bloat comes from multiple levels of for-profit businesses sticking their hands in the pot. Hard to cut the fat, though, when the ones who'd write the new rules would end up "hurting" due to them.

As far as being "gimme gimme", I suppose I qualify. I think we have enough wealth and resources in this country to feed, house, educate, and provide healthcare to everyone at a basic level. I think improving the base level of quality of life is more important than increasing the wealth of the absolute richest though, and I understand that makes me unamerican.
    Way to ruin my "no free stuff" idea.