Page 1095 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 95595995104510851093109410951096109711051145119515952095 ... LastLast
Results 10,941 to 10,950 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Technology has always managed to eliminate traditional jobs in the past... such as farm jobs... and factory jobs... surely more jobs to follow.

However, humanity has always managed to create jobs in new fields. Do you think back when most labor force were farmers ever dreamed of computer related jobs?

I still believe solution to narrow the gap between the rich and poor isn't to just give money away to the poor.

People need to learn to how to make a living and learn how to manage their own resources.

I do believe some sort of UBI may perhaps be inevitable..., however, there must be more than UBI for our society to function healthily.

Imagine in the Star Trek universe... do you think there are folks on board the Enterprise just sitting around in the holodeck enjoying themselves and collect their UBI and do absolutely nothing because everything is automated? Will Capt. Picard allow this kind of behavior to continue unimpeded on his ship? I don't think so.

So in the future, when we no longer have poverty in our society, perhaps we'll no longer be earning money, but earning respect or some other sort of performance metric... Surely not everyone will be Captain Picard, but you can't remain a Lt. Barkley forever. We need to figure out other ways to unlock people's unique potentials.

To simply assume that some folks will be totally useless when we have automation is underestimating human ingenuity. We can throw money to solve problems, but we'll never solve problems just by throwing money at people.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 14th, 2018 at 08:57 AM.

For once I look at a Billi post, and don't completely disagree... I think a UBI is going to be the future. But, it's going to come at a price, I'd think. Work for the City, State, Province, Feds.... cleanup highways, streets... wherever labour is needed. Maybe for farms etc... But make it mostly contingent upon working somewhere. A subsidy to low income jobs perhaps??

Wow. Unbelievable.

However, I think you're missing one important point I was trying to make... I don't mean we should FORCE people to perform shitty jobs to collect UBI, but I mean a system needs to be in place to incentivize them to help unlock their true potential! Surely we'll have robots cleaning the streets by then! No laborers will be needed! People need to be creative, that's something robots currently cannot do... not until we have true AI anyway...

1st allocated UBI budget really should go to free education and healthcare. Until we have free education and healthcare for all, giving money away freely will be a very unwise use of money.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Two problems I see:

1.) as with MANY things right now, it isn't about it being new and not happening before, it's the pace of the change happening.

2.) our governments seem to be not only completely dis-interested in this issue, they actively don't want to deal with it as they're too busy being paid off.

I don't know why we're supposed to care about an affair. Well, other than maybe using campaign finances illegally.

I don't think we care that much or are surprised about it. It shows the potential for the Russian honey pot stories to be true, but that's about it. Most of his detractors probably assumed/expected/aren't surprised by this info.

However it's another stone on the pile of him being a horrible representative for the family values, Conservative, Christian right that has tried so hard to stand by him. Maybe during future election cycles some small percentage of that group will change their mind and decide not to just blindly vote for the person he endorses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    However it's another stone on the pile of him being a horrible representative for the family values, Conservative, Christian right that has tried so hard to stand by him.
    This. Right up there with all the gay Republicans soliciting sex in bathrooms. That sort of thing.

Yeah, that never matters. Man isn't perfect, god forgives, etc. As long as you're a Republican.

It got Roy Moore beat, but not by a ton, and he was much worse, so point taken